cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting dropbox files from my computer without deleting them for everyone else that uses them

Deleting dropbox files from my computer without deleting them for everyone else that uses them

majadabagh
New member | Level 2

Hello, I have stopped working for my organisation and I would like to delete the dropbox files from my computer but not delete the files from dropbox because it is important that other people in the organisation can still use them. 

I am very nervous about removing them from my computer and later finding out that I have deleted the files for everyone else.

Please can you give me a step by step guide about how to safely remove the files from my computer (to free up space on my computer) which still allows other people from my organisation to have access to the files.  

Could you reassure me please that any files deleted from dropbox can be recovered?

Would it be useful if I did a test with 1 document to see if it gets deleted from my computer but still remains on dropbox? If so could you please give me a step by step guide on how to do this test. 

I use a mac. 

Thank you for your help, it has been quite a burden on my mind. Unfortunately, I am not very tech savvy and was working alone and have no one else to turn to. 

1 Reply 1

Re: Deleting dropbox files from my computer without deleting them for everyone else that uses them

Rich
Super User II

@majadabagh wrote:

I have stopped working for my organisation and I would like to delete the dropbox files from my computer but not delete the files from dropbox because it is important that other people in the organisation can still use them.

Is this a shared folder that you're a member of? If you just delete the files within a shared folder, they'll be deleted for everyone. You need to remove the folder from your Dropbox. Refer to this help article.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?