Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting files/creating space

Clairemellier New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello. I checked my storage space and I am Using 1.35 GB of 2 GB. I am told I am reaching my storage space limit and I was hoping I wouldn't have to upgrade. I deleted files that I didn't need anymore, but I was told deleting files didn't count towards increasing storage space. I don't want to pay for extra storage I just want to keep my usage under the limit. What are my options? All the suggestions I found  here https://help.dropbox.com/space/over-storage-limit

are not helpful as they either suggest I updgrade, or if I delete files, this doesn't increase my storage space. I am stuck. Can you help? Many thanks. Claire

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Deleting files/creating space

Super User II
Super User II

@Clairemellier wrote:

... I was told deleting files didn't count towards increasing storage space.

That's not true. Deleting filess WILL increase the amount of available storage space in your account. The comment you're saw was likely referring to the fact that permanently deleting a file (from Deleted Files) doesn't give any space back, and that's because it was already deleted and that space was already reclaimed.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Super User II
Super User II

@Clairemellier wrote:

... I was told deleting files didn't count towards increasing storage space.

That's not true. Deleting filess WILL increase the amount of available storage space in your account. The comment you're saw was likely referring to the fact that permanently deleting a file (from Deleted Files) doesn't give any space back, and that's because it was already deleted and that space was already reclaimed.

View solution in original post

KimaP
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, I am having a similar problem. I have deleted a large number of files and should have saved at least half the space, but the files are not syncing and I kept receiving the notice that my dropbox is full and I have to upgrade. Can you explain how I may reclaim the space?

Super User II
Super User II

Have you restarted the Dropbox app on your computer? It's possible that since you were over quota, syncing was paused and the Dropbox client just needs to re-index your files to see that you've deleted some.

If that doesn't resolve it, sign into the Dropbox website and try deleting the files there, instead of on your computer.

KimaP
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks! I tried both, and the second time I signed into dropbox website, deleted one more file, signed out and signed in again, and that's when I saw that the files synced.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?