cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Deleting files from one but not another folder

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

This is driving me crazy! I have a folder arrangement on Dropbox with all files for each project saved in a single folder named for that project - photos, images, docs etc etc.  I have by mistake saved some files in the wrong folders. I have copied them into their right folders, but when I try to delete them from the folders they are wrongly located in Dropbox wants to delete them altogether from all devices. I am not trying to save file space, I don't want them deleted, I just want them to appear only in the correct folders. Is this possible?

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Deleting files from one but not another folder

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there @Annette H.4,

The message you’re seeing about removing the files from all other connected devices doesn’t mean that the other copies of the files in the correct location will also be removed. 

As Dropbox is a syncing service it will sync any changes to your other devices. However, it will only delete the files from the folder location you are taking this action from, the copy of the files in the correct location will not be affected.

I understand the message can be a little confusing so I hope this helps to clear up things. If you do have any other questions though, please let me know here.

Have a great day - Thanks! 

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?