cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting files on dropbox without losing on them on my computer

Deleting files on dropbox without losing on them on my computer

New member | Level 2

Hello...

I'm super inexperienced to Dropbox. I inadvertently  had my Mac syncing without knowing it, which I did not want to do. I then turned off auto -syncing before it was all complete, now there is no space left on Dropbox. If I want to free up space on Dropbox by deleting  the Documents, Downloads and Desktop from Dropbox, will those files &  folders also be deleted on my computer?

Is there a way to make sure all my files, etc stay intact on my Mac before I start deleting them in  Dropbox?

I would appreciate any help I could get with this… Thank you!

1 Reply 1

Re: Deleting files on dropbox without losing on them on my computer

Dropboxer

Hi there @Edgewood, thanks for checking in with us. 

You're right, since the files are in your Dropbox folder, if you delete them, they'll be removed from your account, and any other connected device. 

What automatically uploaded your Documents, Downloads, and Desktop folders is computer backup

For this reason, you'll have to turn it off before moving the files back to their original locations. 

Let me know how it goes, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?