cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting files on my computer

Deleting files on my computer

Explorer | Level 4

I downloaded the Dropbox App for my desktop and all my Dropbox files were synced on my computer. My Dropbox App stopped working because my iOS isn't updated anymore, so I deleted the Dropbox App and made sure my computer isn't included in the list of devices linked to my Dropbox. Is it now safe to delete the files on my PC without deleting the files in my Dropbox? Can I also delete the files in the shared folder in my PC without deleting it for everyone sharing the folder?

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Deleting files on my computer

Super User II

As long as you've unlinked your computer from your Dropbox account, it's safe to delete the local Dropbox folder and everything within it. Doing so will not delete the files in your account or affect any shared folders you're in.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Super User II

As long as you've unlinked your computer from your Dropbox account, it's safe to delete the local Dropbox folder and everything within it. Doing so will not delete the files in your account or affect any shared folders you're in.

View solution in original post

Explorer | Level 4

Hey @Rich !

Your advice worked perfectly and allowed me to free up space on my laptop! Thank you so much!

Explorer | Level 3

How do I unlink Dropbox from my computer? I would like to delete files on Dropbox without deleting them on my Mac.

New member | Level 2

So how do I unlink Dropbox from my computer?

New member | Level 2

I want to delete files from my computer without deleting them on Dropbox too.

Dropboxer

Hey there @RowdyRobot!

You can unlink your account from the desktop app with these steps.

Once you've done that, syncing will stop and you can remove any of the local files in the Dropbox folder without affecting the files online.

Hope that helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

Help! 

Dropbox asked me to link it to my PC and then it stopped syncing because it was out of space. I didn't know how to unlink them and I deleted the files "from Dropbox", which caused my PC to miss the files! How can I undo that???? PLEASE HELP

Dropboxer

Thanks for reaching out @Bartira, I'm sorry to hear about that!

Did you delete the files from the Dropbox folder on your computer, or from your Dropbox account online?

If it was from your computer, can you check your recycling bin and see if you can restore the deleted files from there?

Otherwise, if it was through your Dropbox account online, please check out these steps to see if you can find the files there.

Let me know and we'll go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?