cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting files

Picchick
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Is there a definitive answer to whether deleting files from Dropbox will also delete those files from my hard drive? Also, if I can safely delete ONLY from Dropbox, this does not free up space?? I can’t further use Dropbox without upgrading? Like other community posts here, I never intended for Dropbox to retrieve the files, documents, and pics that it did from my hard drive!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

BestGamerWithKats
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I don't really think it will delete your files from your device, when you delete it from your dropbox, if it asks you if you would like to delete the file from everywhere that will mean that it will delete it from your Dropbox.

Hope This Helps!

View solution in original post

22 Replies 22

BestGamerWithKats
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I don't really think it will delete your files from your device, when you delete it from your dropbox, if it asks you if you would like to delete the file from everywhere that will mean that it will delete it from your Dropbox.

Hope This Helps!

David Bomber
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, I am also a new user, when I installed Dropbox the program sinked with all files on my hard drive, the very first message I received was Your dropbox is full upgrade, I deleted files from Dropbox to make room which also deleted these files from my hard dive, any suggestions

Sukiling
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

When deleting files, it always says 'it will delete it from my dropbox account and all devices.' I Dropbox means it will delete only from Dropbox, why does it not say so? I have a lot of photos and some that I don't them to be on Dropbox anymore but still keep them on my computer. Can we get a specific answer from some expert or from Dropbox directly ? I am running out of storage space.

@BestGamerWithKats wrote:

Hope This Helps!

Astrokat
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I've been struggling with a simlar issue the past few days. My partner shared a folder with me (she has a DropBox subscription through her work) and now it says my DropBox is full and wants me to upgrade.

I tried to delete some of my old stuff and got conflicting messages:

Some files had a popup saying "xyz will be deleted from your account and devices, but other members will still have access" even though they are not shared with anyone and I'm the owner.

Some files had a popup saying "Delete XYZ" from your DropBox account?" (i.e. no message about other members having access).

I've already saved what I want to my Documents folder on my PC (not the DropBox folder in Users) and I just want these files gone completely from DropBox, not sitting out there in the cloud and/or using up space allocation.

It has been very frustrating not being able to find a definitve answer to this here.

skipandsandy
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I need a simple answer: When I DELETE FROM ALL FOLDERS will my original DOCUMENTS AND PHOTOS file stay in my computer's  hard drive so I can continue access to them?

Astrokat
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I still haven't received a definitve answer...

I got so frustrated with it I just uninstalled DropBox and now ask people to use OneDrive if they want to share something with me. 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey everyone, thanks for nudging us on the Dropbox Community. 

If you delete a file from your Dropbox folder, it'll be deleted from your computer, the website, and any other devices that has the desktop app and mobile app installed. 

If you've added your computer folders (like Documents, Downloads, and Desktop) to your Dropbox folder using computer backup, they'll follow the same process since they are a part of your Dropbox folder.

For example, if you remove a file that's part of your Documents folder, but it's backed up into your Dropbox account, then it'll be removed from your Dropbox account and your hard drive. 

To stop using computer backup and move the files back to their original locations, you can turn the feature off by following the steps mentioned in this article

Have a look and let me know if you have any other questions, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Astrokat
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I just scanned the article. It doesn't seem to address the conflicting error messages I got when trying to delete files, see my first post:

I tried to delete some of my old stuff and got conflicting messages:

Some files had a popup saying "xyz will be deleted from your account and devices, but other members will still have access" even though they are not shared with anyone and I'm the owner.

Some files had a popup saying "Delete XYZ" from your DropBox account?" (i.e. no message about other members having access).

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Even though the folder may not be shared with others, it might still be set to be shared. 

Does the folder in question have an icon in the middle of it that looks like two people?

Shared folders.png

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    jackyan Explorer | Level 3
    skipandsandy Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?