cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Deleting files

Rob41
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello,

I have been trying to delete files to make more space. To do this, I have been deleting folders. Then, when I go to the deleted files page, I delete these folders/files forever. However, even though I only have a couple of small files in dropbox, I keep being told I have used up all my storage. Can you please advise on how to make space. Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Yes, of course.

Better use "Share", next to every one shared file/folder, to unshare it (remove yourself from this share or, if the share is you property, make someone else owner). 😉

You can see all your shared files/folders, either your property or shared to you from someone else, here.

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @Rob41,

Take a look on your personal plan information: https://www.dropbox.com/account/plan and you will see where your space have gone. Take in mind shared files/folders engage space on both sides - owner and recipient(s). Entire size is count toward engaged space of every one!

Rob41
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

That was helpful, thanks!

It says the vast majority is shared files. Is there a mechanism to delete them?

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Yes, of course.

Better use "Share", next to every one shared file/folder, to unshare it (remove yourself from this share or, if the share is you property, make someone else owner). 😉

You can see all your shared files/folders, either your property or shared to you from someone else, here.

Rob41
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks again for your quick reply. I do appreciate your help. With your help, I believe I have fixed my storage issue!!

anthony s.8
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have deleted some photos from my dropbox but it did not free up any space..

why did i not get more space

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @anthony s.8; thanks for joining the discussion here.

Can you please let us know what is reported in your account's plan tab at the moment?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

anthony s.8
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

it says 7.41gb of 6.25 regular files

anthony s.8
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Using 7.41 GB of 6.25 GB of regular files. That is what it says.

It was saying this before i deleted a lot of pics.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Can you clarify for me, did you delete these files from the website, mobile app or from the desktop app perhaps?

If it's still showing that you're using more than the 6.25 GB space limit, you might need to remove some more files from your account.

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?