cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Deleting files

Rob41
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello,

I have been trying to delete files to make more space. To do this, I have been deleting folders. Then, when I go to the deleted files page, I delete these folders/files forever. However, even though I only have a couple of small files in dropbox, I keep being told I have used up all my storage. Can you please advise on how to make space. Thanks.

21 Replies 21

anthony s.8
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
The photos I have deleted have gone to the deleted files folder.
Sjould i delete those photos from this folder.
Will that then give me more storage space

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Deleting files from the "Deleted files" folder won't free up any additional space, as the space will be freed up when you initially deleted the files @anthony s.8.

If your plan page is still showing you're using more than your storage limit, I'd suggest checking the sizes of your files and folders, in order to track down what is taking the most space in your account.

You can check out how to do this here.

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

MEL2014
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello - you once posted this response in connection with a question about clearing up dropbox space:

Yes, of course.

Better use "Share", next to every one shared file/folder, to unshare it (remove yourself from this share or, if the share is you property, make someone else owner). You can see all your shared files/folders, either your property or shared to you from someone else, here.

I have a computer at home and one in my office. I must be able to access the same files on both computers. If I UNSHARE my folders, will I be Unable to access files on both computers??? I do not have WIFI at my office, so at the end of every week, I use a hotspot to connect to WIFI and the new files sync.

I've Permanently Deleted many files from my computer at home but dropbox is still telling me I'm over storage limit.  How do I resolve this issue?

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@MEL2014 wrote:

... If I UNSHARE my folders, will I be Unable to access files on both computers??? ...

Hi,

If you are using different accounts on different places - Yes, otherwise - No. How many accounts are you using and is something shared between them?

@MEL2014 wrote:

I've Permanently Deleted many files from my computer at home but dropbox is still telling me I'm over storage limit.  ...

Where have you tried delete your files? If your are in overquota, your sync is stopped, so local deletion will not reflect in Dropbox storage - in such case you have to delete your files online. Take a look here and see if files (which you think that are deleted) are still there. If so, remove them using your web browser too. 😉

Hope this helps to the person just has posted above.

MEL2014
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thank you for your response.

No, I'm using same user for both accounts but files are showing up under SHARED.

Yes, over quota. I've gone into the files as I normally access them through dropbox folder and deleted files there. I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'use your web browser to also delete...Sorry, very basic tech savvy skills.

MEL2014
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Follow up answer to your response: I believe I figured out what you mean by using web browser to delete files there. Thank you.

Another question: If I used cut and paste to move dropbox files to an external hard drive, will those files no longer be recoverable because they were originally saved on dropbox? So like when I've moved some to the hard drive of my computer (believing I'm moving them OFF of dropbox and placing on my Computer HD, the name of that file remains with the dropbox extension in the name. Am I actually removing that document to my computer HD, clearing up space? The same question goes to moving files to an External HD.

I don't dare delete files using my web browser if I'm not SURE I'm actually saving them on either computer HD or External HD.

I hope I'm being clear about my questions....obviously I'm limited in my tech savvyness 😞

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Just to be clear: Your Dropbox folder (and everything within) is like any other folder on your HD. So:

@MEL2014 wrote:

... (believing I'm moving them OFF of dropbox and placing on my Computer HD, ...

...is not correct! In such a way you are moving a file from one place to another within the same HD. Dropbox application just keeps in sync everything in Dropbox folder with your Dropbox account, nothing more. When sync is out for some reason (including overquota) doing something in Dropbox folder doesn't affect your account (again, at that time they are out of sync). Once you get your account loaded (not Dropbox folder content) below the quota, your sync will start again. So all deleted files in one of the places will get deleted in the other too.

@MEL2014 wrote:

..., the name of that file remains with the dropbox extension in the name. ...

To be honest, I have no idea what you mean here. ðŸ¤” What's that "dropbox extension"?

@MEL2014 wrote:

... If I used cut and paste to move dropbox files to an external hard drive, will those files no longer be recoverable ...

If you mean Dropbox account recoverable content, only deleted files from your Dropbox account can be recovered in such a way for limited time span. Take in mind that if something is placed in your Dropbox folder while overquota, the same thing never get in your Dropbox account, so can't be restored (can't be restored something nonexistent)!

Generally, it's good idea to create a local backup. ðŸ˜‰ Just to be sure.

ADD:

If you have turned on your Dropbox Backup feature, better turn it off! Only issues can be expected out of there! There is big chance the same "feature" to be guilty for the overquota too. Most probably, the "extension" you mentioned is just the status marker - meaning you have put in your Dropbox many things you don't ever expected. 🤷 And that's why it gets overquota.

MEL2014
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

WOW - Thank you so much for your patience in providing me with this detailed response. I feel more confident in being able to trouble-shoot my Dropbox folders/account.

mushroomking77
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

i seem to be having the same issue, i unshared some folders, deleted all the folders/files and the plan page still says more then 2gb used, there is about 3mb in use

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@mushroomking77 wrote:

..., i unshared some folders, deleted all the folders/files ...

Hi @mushroomking77,

Take a look here. Can you see the files you are thinking have deleted or no? ðŸ¤” Navigate to there on equivalent places while checking. 😉

Hope this helps.

Need more support?