cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting from Dropbox

Deleting from Dropbox

Andrewcat
New member | Level 2

I recently had to get a new computer. Somehow, everything on my old computer was also put into Dropbox and now Drop is berating me to "upgrade!"

When I tried to delete folders on Drop that should only be on my computer, Drop warned that it would "delete it from all devices!" including my computer. ?????

How can I remove all of my computer's stuff from Drop without removing it from my computer?

Apparently, "Community" is the only way to try to find out, because it's impossible to reach someone at Drop, even with "Contact Support"  :////

1 Reply 1

Re: Deleting from Dropbox

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hi @Andrewcat, thanks for posting and happy Friday!

It sounds like you enabled the computer backup feature on the Dropbox app of your old computer. Do you still have access to it?

If you do, you will need to disable computer backup. That way your desktop files will stop syncing to Dropbox. 

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?