cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting local files after changing to view only

Highlighted

Deleting local files after changing to view only

Explorer | Level 3

I have dropbox plus, but my wife has basic.  The folder I was sharing with her as "can edit" was taking up way too much space on her laptop.  She doesn't have the option of selective sync because of her basic plan.  I changed her folder access to "can edit."   Is that the correct approach?  Can she now delete the folder and free up space on her laptop's hard drive without it deleting for everyone?  Will this allow her to still see the file names and have access to them via the cloud?

If this is the correct strategy, then great.  If not, how should I solve this problem?

We both use Windows 10.

Just to add this:  The file I was sharing with her was also exceeding her dropbox space limit by a huge amount, so any file she was saving anywhere on her DB files were not upating for others that she was sharing with.  After fixing this issue, I plan on going back and sharing a much smaller folder of only important things with her as "can edit."

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Re: Deleting local files after changing to view only

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks in advance!

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi there @mattmerr, thanks for reaching out to us. 

At first, I wanted to clarify that shared folders take up space in every members' accounts, whether they have edit or view access. 

Also, any folders and files that have stored locally on their computer takes up space on their hard drive. However, they can use selective sync which is available to all plans, including Basic. 

As such, to reduce the amount of space their Dropbox folders take up on their device, they can use selective sync. 

As for the Dropbox account's storage issue, I'd recommend having a look at this article which proposes some ways to tackle it. 

Let me know how it goes or if you have any other questions, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for your response. 

I am the president of a small nonprofit.  I have many pictures and some other files that I want to share with the other board members.  If I understand correctly, in order for them to be able to have even viewing access to anything over the 2GB of space (or whatever free space they have b/c of referrals or promotions) they must purchase a plan.  Is that correct?

Many of the board members are older, and I know would not purchase a plan.  So I'm thinking that my best option in this case is to find a photo sharing site that the board members can go to to view, and then they can download certain photos if they so choose..  Then I can share only important files (which take up much less space) with the members via Dropbox.

Does that sound logical?

This leads me to another question or two.  If I stop sharing the photo files that I have on Dropbox with the members, will their Dropbox limit immediately reflect the reduced storage amount on their accounts?  Will they need to go and delete the current files that are also taking up too much space on their local hard drives, or will Dropbox automatically delete those as well, as a result of me not sharing with them anymore?

Thanks a bunch!

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @mattmerr

If you want others to be able to simply view the content, you can send it to them via a shared link. This doesn't require users to have a Dropbox account and won't take up space for those that do have one. 

As for your second question, yes, if you remove their access, the shared folder will stop taking up storage on their Dropbox accounts. 

You will be given the option to leave them with a copy of the shared folder (which will be saved in their own account) though, so just make sure that you haven't selected to do so upon unsharing the folder.

Give me another shout if you have any other questions, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?