cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting sync folder in DropBox and create a new one with a new user

Deleting sync folder in DropBox and create a new one with a new user

Luix
Helpful | Level 6

Hi. 

My question is in two parts, that are connected:

1. I have a folder in my computer synced with Dropbox. Can I delete it from DropBox (online) and avoid it deleting it from my computer? I just need to change the sync settings I guess, but I'm a little afraid. Hahaha. 

2. After the actions for item 1, I need to download a 5 TB folder from Dropbox to a local computer. It's a team member folder. Can I move his folder to my folder in Dropbox and create the sync? Or should I use his account to create a sync in the local computer (not mine), download everything and finally delete his account? 

What do you think? I like Dropbox, but the sync is not so friendly to me. 

Thank you,

Luiz

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Deleting sync folder in DropBox and create a new one with a new user

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @Luix, thanks for all the details!

You can either unlink your account from the app, then link his Dropbox there and download all the content locally, on a new Dropbox folder. 

Or, you can remove the member from the Team.

Here's what that'll do: You'll be asked if you want to transfer the member's files on another member. You can choose to transfer those to yours, which would essentially then sync them on the app. 

Give me a nudge if you have any other questions!

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @Luix, I'd be happy to answer this for you!

Regarding your first question, yes you can!

You can set a file or folder to be “ignored” by Dropbox. This allows you to organize files and folders in the Dropbox folder on your computer without storing them on dropbox.com or on the Dropbox server at all.

Once ignored, the file or folder remains where it is on your computer, but it is deleted from the Dropbox server and your other devices (if it had previously been synced to Dropbox). 

You can see more about this,here.

As for your second question, can you clarify if you're referring about an individual folder inside the member's account, or about the entire content? 

Keep me posted!

Lori
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Luix
Helpful | Level 6

@Lori 

Hi. Thank you. Good to know I can ignore it. I'll follow what you said. 

About the second question, it's all the content of a member. I work with videos (so the big files) and one guy in another country unfortunately died. So I created a user for his wife and she uploaded all the content to this user in my Dropbox account. Now I don't need the user anymore, but I need the files to be downloaded locally. 

Thank you,

Luiz

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @Luix, thanks for all the details!

You can either unlink your account from the app, then link his Dropbox there and download all the content locally, on a new Dropbox folder. 

Or, you can remove the member from the Team.

Here's what that'll do: You'll be asked if you want to transfer the member's files on another member. You can choose to transfer those to yours, which would essentially then sync them on the app. 

Give me a nudge if you have any other questions!

Lori
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

Luix
Helpful | Level 6

Dear @Lori,

Thank you. It helped me a lot! I'll try it as soon as I can get back to the office, hope next week. 

Luiz

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @Luix!

Amazing! Don't worry and take all the time you need.

Give me another shout if something comes up.

Lori
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lori Dropboxer
    Luix Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?