cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop Icons on Home Screen gone After Smart Synch Error?

Desktop Icons on Home Screen gone After Smart Synch Error?

DreadfulPoob
New member | Level 2

The Desktop items on my computer's home screen have mostly disappeared, after a brief smart synching error from dropbox. This has never occured before with smart synch, other than when i activated the feature for the fist time on my computer, and everything on the home screen was immediately restored after the conversion process was finished. 

From what it looks like, all of the files are still on my computer as local files, and the smart synch seems to be in working order again, but because of the lapse in function from the synch, the home screen icons for the files, applications, and photos are all missing from their original locations.

When I went to the folder containing all the files saved by dropbox, and tried to begin moving them back to their places on my home screen, I was given a "Remove ((file)) from your dropbox account and all devices?" warning, which, of course, isn't a risk I'm willing to take because of how vague it sounds. I'm just stumped right now, and would like for everything to be returned to their proper locations on my screen, gets confusing to navigate without it.

1 Reply 1

Re: Desktop Icons on Home Screen gone After Smart Synch Error?

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @DreadfulPoob, thanks for posting to our community! 

As a first step, can you let me know your app's syncing status

Can you also clarify if you're referring to our Computer Backup feature? 

If so, here you can see the steps in order to disable it, and move everything back to its original path. 

Let me know what you find.

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lori Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?