cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop and Documents folder Back-up on Mac after TimeMachine recovery

Desktop and Documents folder Back-up on Mac after TimeMachine recovery

donok
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

I have set up my Documents and Desktop folder to be managed by DropBox through the BackUp feature. 

I had to recover the entire drive to a new Mac and now DropBox is very confused. It seems to be working in the Cloud and is syncing correctly (I see the Apple Logo folder in my main directory of my DropBox folder), but the "folders" in my Home directory are unlinked aliases that Dropbox put there. They are also locked and I cannot delete them (even through Get Info).

If I open the DropBox Preference pane, it does not "know" that Backup is even set up. When I try to set it up, I get an error that the Documents and Desktop folders are "not in default location". And it wants me to "Move Desktop (and Documents) folder back to its original location and try again."  

But Desktop is a hidden folder and both Desktop and Documents are now aliases that Dropbox put in my Home directory when I set it up on the old Mac. 

Help?

3 Replies 3

Re: Desktop and Documents folder Back-up on Mac after TimeMachine recovery

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @donok, thanks for posting today!

Restoring the Dropbox folder using Time Machine isn't supported, since it can cause many issues with permissions and folder locations.

With the computer backup feature, it would cause more confusion in general.

I'd recommend contacting the support team to look into this matter to see what can be done to assist further.

Once you get a ticket ID from the automated response, please let me know the number here so I can locate it in our system!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

donok
Explorer | Level 3

My ticket number is Ticket #12269959 -

I just went through two rounds of the most frustrating customer support - I so clearly and carefully wrote a detailed ticket with screenshot and then I just get a templated "how-to" response that CLEARLY shows that Aidan, my support person, did not read one sentence of my ticket. Anyway, sorry to vent, but I tried to vent to him (in a fairly kind way 😉 and now whenever I click replay I get a message on the support ticket page "Upload failed, please try again" - maybe I have to attach a screenshot to every reply there?

Sooooo frustrating - I can't even get to beginning to discuss my issue...

😞

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi there @donok, thanks for confirming your ticket and I'm sorry to hear about your frustration. 

I've made sure to pass your comments along to the member of my team reviewing this, and can see that they have replied to you. 

Whenever you have a moment, check out what they mention and don't hesitate to get back to them with more questions or info.

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?