cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Desktop app stuck syncing ._ files constantly

Explorer | Level 3

Hi all,

Lately, I had problems with my external hard drive and syncing files, and I suspect it had to do with my hard drive as I am having other non-dropbox related problems with it. I decided to purchase another external hard drive (Western Digital Easystore) and start from scratch in hopes that I wouldn't have any syncing issues. I formatted it to exFat because I read that it's good to use that when dealing with files over 4gb, and I potentially will have that as I'm starting to work with large video files.

I think I've been able to add all of my dropbox files to my new external hard drive, but it's been stuck for a couple days on syncing what seem to be files all beginning with "._" and I don't know how to stop it. I don't plan on moving this external hard drive with other computers, and I'm wondering if I can just maybe delete all of those dropbox files that have a "._" without any negative consequences in order to stop having it stuck on syncing. I've included screenshots below.

Any help would be appreciated!

Screen Shot 2018-07-30 at 9.33.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-30 at 9.33.37 PM.png

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: syncing ._ files

Super User
Super User

Hi @cizz13, the dot underscore files are MacOS system files. They are created on hard drives formatted with a type that does not support extended file attributes. Generally, they are hidden system files. I think, if you format your hard drive with Apple Extended (HFS+) or APFS type, you won't see these files. Note that HFS+ or APFS are not compatible with Windows or Linux. If you are not planning to use the hard drive with Windows/Linux, that is a not an issue. Generally, if you delete dot underscore files, you don't loose the real data, but you might loose some icons, for sometimes creation/edit dates. Also, Time Machine backup keeps record of which files to copy during next backup etc. You can clean the dot underscore files using following command in the Terminal: 

dot_clean /Volumes/MyExtHD/Dropbox

Change the path as applicable in your case. Unfortunately, you cannot avoid creating them, they will be re-created next time you access the drive. Probably, formatting your hard drive to native Apple Extended HFS+ is the only way to avoid them. Before you format, please quit Dropbox, make a backup of your data and proceed. 

I guess, the "Can't sync (access denied)" error is because the files are being used by MacOS and Dropbox cannot update them. You may delete those files from Dropbox web to complete the sync. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Super User
Super User

I think you can delete the existing dot underscore files. First, check if you can delete the dot underscore from Dropbox web. Otherwise, you may use the command I mentioned in my previous post to delete them from hard disc. You may also unhide the hidden system files, and manually delete those dot underscore files. You can unhide the system files using following command in the Terminal

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

Hold the Option/Alt key and click the finder, and choose Relaunch. To hide the system files agian: 

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles NO

Keep us posted if that solves the issue. 

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Super User
Super User

Hi @cizz13, the dot underscore files are MacOS system files. They are created on hard drives formatted with a type that does not support extended file attributes. Generally, they are hidden system files. I think, if you format your hard drive with Apple Extended (HFS+) or APFS type, you won't see these files. Note that HFS+ or APFS are not compatible with Windows or Linux. If you are not planning to use the hard drive with Windows/Linux, that is a not an issue. Generally, if you delete dot underscore files, you don't loose the real data, but you might loose some icons, for sometimes creation/edit dates. Also, Time Machine backup keeps record of which files to copy during next backup etc. You can clean the dot underscore files using following command in the Terminal: 

dot_clean /Volumes/MyExtHD/Dropbox

Change the path as applicable in your case. Unfortunately, you cannot avoid creating them, they will be re-created next time you access the drive. Probably, formatting your hard drive to native Apple Extended HFS+ is the only way to avoid them. Before you format, please quit Dropbox, make a backup of your data and proceed. 

I guess, the "Can't sync (access denied)" error is because the files are being used by MacOS and Dropbox cannot update them. You may delete those files from Dropbox web to complete the sync. 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the reply. I don't mind having them if I'm supposed to have them. I just want it to stop trying to sync these files and being stuck on it. Do you think I should delete the existing ones, and then when they automatically get recreated, that it'll sync properly?

Highlighted

Super User
Super User

I think you can delete the existing dot underscore files. First, check if you can delete the dot underscore from Dropbox web. Otherwise, you may use the command I mentioned in my previous post to delete them from hard disc. You may also unhide the hidden system files, and manually delete those dot underscore files. You can unhide the system files using following command in the Terminal

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

Hold the Option/Alt key and click the finder, and choose Relaunch. To hide the system files agian: 

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles NO

Keep us posted if that solves the issue. 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?