cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Desktop camera uploads feature from iPhone to Mac isn't working as it should

Collaborator | Level 8

Honestly, 

Some days I feel like I'm working for Dropbox and not the other way around.

For years now, I've been uploading photos from my iPhone to my computer using USB.

Why am I not using the camera upload in the app, you ask?

Well, because it was highly unreliable.

It didn't upload all the photos, didn't upload original photos (for portrait photos), didn't upload burst and basically did whatever it wanted (and not what I wanted it to do)

So I was stuck with uploading using USB, as inconvenient as it may have been.

Had this worked well, I would have been able to handle it, but even that works like crap.

1. Most of the times the scanning of the photos takes ages (I sometimes have to wait one hour for it to scan 12 GB of photos in order for it to find out what's new)

2. After a lengthy upload I sometimes get "Failed to import 3 out XXX photos".

Then I have to repeat #1 in hopes that the import will succeed, if it doesn't, then I have to sift thorough all the photos on my phone and compare it with what's on Dropbox to find out which 3 photos out of the 1000+ were skipped

3. During the camera upload process, the iPhone's cache is filled for some weird reason.

So as I'm writing this I am on my 5th try to sync the one video it failed to import the 4 times before.

I started out with 25 free GB, now I have 500MB free.

Mind you, the only thing that I've done was trying to use camera upload again and again - So now 24GB of cache are used in order to upload a 500MB video from 15GB of photos.

What's up, Dropbox?

Is a Macbook Pro & iPhone XS too low-tech for your desktop app?

I am sticking with Dropbox only for photos, to tell you the truth.

Even though you have a horrible photos interface.

I stuck with you because you were reliable and I could trust you to upload ALL of the photos unaltered to the cloud.

But this is just too much work for a backup that should be automatic and seamless like expected from a cloud service in 2020!

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Re: Camera uploads feature from iPhone to Mac is horrific!!!!!!

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Daniel A.5, thanks for posting today!

I understand your frustration over the desktop camera uploads.

In order to look into this matter in more detail, could you confirm which version of the Dropbox desktop application you’re using? You can see this by hovering over the icon in the menu bar.

Have you always had these issues with the import, or did it happen after a recent update of the app or OS?

Any info you can provide would be helpful!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 8

OK, 

Here's some more info: 

- My current Dropbox version is 90.4.307 (But it's been the same since I can remember)

- I'm using Mojave (but it happened on all previous MacOS versions)

- Same issue has happened on my iPhone X, iPhone XS and iPhone 11 Pro Max

So bottom line: the camera upload doesn't work well regardless of which device, macOS or Dropbox version I'm using...

Fun fact on why I didn't switch to Catalina yet: Back in 2017 after switching to High Sierra fairly early (about a week after the release) Dropbox had a weird bug which made it not sync specific file which caused an entire mess in my Dropbox

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installs-integrations/Dropbox-doesn-t-sync-FLA-files-since-I-ve-swit...

But that's beside the point...

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the details. Would it be okay to reach out to the email associated with the forum profile to assist further?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 8

Sure, I'd be happy to give you any piece of information that will resolve this issue once and for all

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?