cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop files are deleted . . .

Desktop files are deleted . . .

Explorer | Level 3

So I understand that I probably did something wrong, but the fact that dropbox has this mass deleting of source-materials happen within a few seconds is astounding to me. On the free version no less . . . 

I was trying to sync one folder from my Desktop. Instead I synced the entire desktop. I am in a group with some lab members and didn't want my files to share so I hastily removed/deleted the desktop in my dropbox desktop app. It did not tell me I will lose original documents, I believe it said something like 'documents in other locations/ other devices will not be deleted" so i assumed it meant the files within my dropbox folder would be deleted. 

within a few seconds of syncing and before the sync completed I deleted the folder in the dropbox app.

In the 'events' and deleted files sections I see some of the files, but definitely not ALL of the files. Literally within 10 seconds it managed to delete 50gb of data. Andnot in my recycle bin. Would Rewind even help / be worth buying?? Since no version history was established? I can't believe such a terrible thing could happen within 10 seconds . . . 

Edit: What is permanent deletion? Dropbox deletes it from the cloud and my computer? If it deletes it from my computer why does it not go into the recycle bin? 

2 Replies 2

Re: Desktop files are deleted . . .

Dropboxer

Hi @Unreal, thanks for joining the Community.

I'm sorry to hear about the missing files on your machine.

It sounds like you enabled the computer backup feature, which can be disabled using these steps on your account.

If the missing files weren’t syncing to your account, then it wouldn’t be possible to recover them from the site. However, it might be possible to recover the files from the local machine using a third party app or service to do so.

If you need any further assistance, please let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Desktop files are deleted . . .

Explorer | Level 3
*Big Sigh*
Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?