cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop files/pictures disappeared after uninstalling - Mac OS 10.14.6

Desktop files/pictures disappeared after uninstalling - Mac OS 10.14.6

Efreken7
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Jay. There are a few similar queries but none seems to offer a practical solution to my frustrating problem. 

After removing/uninstalling a recent 'Dropbox' application (and removing/emptying its items from the trash) I see all my desktop items have disappeared - except 'Macintosh HD'. The desktop icon in 'Finder' appears to be empty. 'Documents' / Applications & 'Downloads' all appear to be unaffected. All that is left of a  'Dropbox 'reference on my Finder are folders:  "com.dropbox.client.crashpad" and "com.get.garcon" ??

Because a Desktop icon no longer  exists on Finder I am unable to save items to desktop - quote: "The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “Desktop” can’t be found."

Any remedies to recoup my missing desktop information and files?  Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Just jumping in here too, hey there @Efreken7!

On a Mac device, dragging an app to the trash will uninstall the app for you. 

This means that you can do a fresh install of the app from our website here.

During the setup of the app, it will ask if you want to set up the computer backup. From that window, you can choose to just enable this for the Desktop and not any other folder.

Let me know if this helps Lance!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Efreken7; welcome to our Community and happy Monday!

As it seems like you've enabled the computer backup feature, we'll first need to clarify if you disabled the feature before uninstalling the desktop application from your computer. 

Could you take a look at the relevant Help Center article and let us know if it helps?

Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Efreken7
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I have read the Help Center Article. 

Dropbox was fully installed initially. I then simply dragged the Dropbox icons to the trash. I did not uninstall. I do not believe that i disabled anything at all .. either before installing or after.  I have attached two pictures. I. Desktop picture upon logging in.. no files in there, only "mackintosh HD" in the top corner, and 2. my Finder page. Clicking on 'Desktop' only bring a few old files but these do not appear on the main page. Main Desktop page.jpgFinder Page.jpg

Does my reply make sense. I am only reasonably tech savvy unfortunately.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Efreken7, it sounds like you've deleted the Dropbox folder, without disabling the computer backup first, so this is why the desktop files are missing.

Can you try recovering the missing files from this page to see if they sync back to your machine.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Efreken7
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Jay. That seems very plausable. I did not disable the compter backup..  Checked, but "no recentlydeleted files". 

Actually I am not too concerned at losing the files etc that were on the desktop, but would certainly like the ability to again post things to the Desktop page. Thanks.

Efreken7
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Oops! Just noticed I replied to Walter and not Jay's message. Apologies!!

Efreken7
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Jay. No missing files to recover. Any idea where I can go to now to get this problem sorted out?

As I previously indicated I am not too concerned about losing my desktop files (although it would be nice to recover them!). Geeting my fully functioning Desktop back again - and being able to post items /files etc there is my main goal now.

Thank you.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

In that case, you'll need to re-install the app (if you indeed uninstalled it at some point) and then, disable the computer backup feature @Efreken7.

Upon that process, you'll get the option to either "Keep content in folders on this PC/Mac" or "Leave content in Dropbox" as needed. 

Let us know how it goes!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Efreken7
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Walter. I definitely did not uninstall the Drpbox App as I was unsure as to how to go about that function. Merely dragged into trash and then cleared out trash bin.

Before I try your valued suggestion, I thought iI should share what 'Dropbox' items/files are still showing on my Mac when I search my finder: com.dropbox.client.crashpad, com.getdropbox.garcon , Dropbox file solver.webarchive

After  installing Dropbox as you suggest, do I find the 'Computer Backup' feature on the Dropbox App ..?

Thank you again for your input.

Lance

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Just jumping in here too, hey there @Efreken7!

On a Mac device, dragging an app to the trash will uninstall the app for you. 

This means that you can do a fresh install of the app from our website here.

During the setup of the app, it will ask if you want to set up the computer backup. From that window, you can choose to just enable this for the Desktop and not any other folder.

Let me know if this helps Lance!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Efreken7 Helpful | Level 5
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?