cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop files/pictures disappeared after uninstalling - Mac OS 10.14.6

Desktop files/pictures disappeared after uninstalling - Mac OS 10.14.6

Efreken7
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Jay. There are a few similar queries but none seems to offer a practical solution to my frustrating problem. 

After removing/uninstalling a recent 'Dropbox' application (and removing/emptying its items from the trash) I see all my desktop items have disappeared - except 'Macintosh HD'. The desktop icon in 'Finder' appears to be empty. 'Documents' / Applications & 'Downloads' all appear to be unaffected. All that is left of a  'Dropbox 'reference on my Finder are folders:  "com.dropbox.client.crashpad" and "com.get.garcon" ??

Because a Desktop icon no longer  exists on Finder I am unable to save items to desktop - quote: "The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “Desktop” can’t be found."

Any remedies to recoup my missing desktop information and files?  Thank you.

13 Replies 13

Efreken7
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Daphne. Appreciate your input. I have just reinstalled Dropbox BUT did not see the computer backup option during the install. Now that I have Dropbox back, any chance of doing this computer backup now? I see I still have not got my full desktop functually back -(cannot move any items/files etc to my desktop). Thank you.

Efreken7
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Daphne. Finally some good news. Reinstalled the Dropbox App a few minutes ago and wow ... have my Desktop and all the files back again!! Thank you for taking the time to suggest a resolution. It did work. Lance

Efreken7
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Walter. Thank you again for your input.

Finally got my desktop and all its files back again!

Regards, lance

Efreken7
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Jay. Thank you again for your input. Finally got my Desktop bacl plus all the files therein!

Regards, Lance

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Efreken7 Helpful | Level 5
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?