cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop ruined

Helpful | Level 5

I installed Dropbox Basic and told it to sync nothing.  My desktop was left with blank icons that don't link to the files and folders they did before the installation.  I tried to delete them but got an error message saying, "Error 0x80070780: The file cannot be accessed by the system."  I uninstalled Dropbox and rebooted my computer, but the problem persists.  My computer desktop is now full of useless false links.  HELP!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Desktop ruined

Helpful | Level 5

I got help from Dropbox support, and their suggestion worked.  I was able to download everything which helped.  I had to restore some other things myself.  I intentionally unchecked all sync boxes during setup, but there was a backup option that WASN'T SHOWN DURING SETUP that created the problem.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Collaborator | Level 10

Hi Brother Stein

The error code you mentioned could have a number of causes.

A Google search shows: One of the reasons that might be responsible for “The file cannot be accessed by the system” is system files corruption. So, run System File Checker tool to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. ... The command prompt, type the command “sfc /scannow” and then press Enter to continue

Also, as Lucil mentioned in this post: https:confused face:/www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/The-file-cannot-be-accessed-by-the-system-with-g... try the steps mentioned there to fix the Hardlinks.

Hope it helps, and try the suggestions at your own risk. Perhaps other users have alternative suggestions?

Regards

Casper

Helpful | Level 5

I got help from Dropbox support, and their suggestion worked.  I was able to download everything which helped.  I had to restore some other things myself.  I intentionally unchecked all sync boxes during setup, but there was a backup option that WASN'T SHOWN DURING SETUP that created the problem.

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?