cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differences or pros/cons with moving windows library locations into the dropbox folder vs backup?

Differences or pros/cons with moving windows library locations into the dropbox folder vs backup?

klepp0906
Collaborator | Level 9

So many years ago when I began using dropbox as a half measure to backup my pc (before i started imaging etc) dropbox had no such "backup" feature.  It had symlinks (which were changed relatively recently to be ineffective) and it now has the backup feature where you dont need certain folders to be inside the dropbox folder (wish you could specify but seems youre limited to the main libraries).

All this time ive had my desktop/downloads/documents etc posited inside the dropbox folder and my pc and script paths etc all built around that.

What would change if I did things the new/updated/right way?  Moved the libraries back to their proper locations and used the backup feature? 

anything at all apart from potentially changing paths in some scripts to omit the user/dropbox/ portion of the path?  trying to see if i stand to gain anything by doing so or i might as well keep chugging along at this point?   Is it any faster?  Any less resource intensive?  Any more reliable? 

Also does using backup over my current method of changing the folders location allow for selective sync of subfolders in the same way?  Say i wanted to sync my downloads folder except for certain subfolders within?  Or is the new backup option an all or nothing?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Differences or pros/cons with moving windows library locations into the dropbox folder vs bac...

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @klepp0906, thanks for posting today!

If you enable the computer backup feature, the Desktop, Documents and Downloads folders would physically move into the Dropbox folder under another folder, such as My PC (DESKTOP-1A2B3B)/, so you'd need to modify any scripts that use the absolute path manually.

Additionally, to set it up, the folder must be in their default location, since you've already moved them into the Dropbox folder, from what you're describing, this would be an extra step for you.

Technically, there isn't a reason to change your current setup since it is working well for you, and you're able to manage it manually rather than the app taking over. Selective sync would also work the same way if you enable computer backup, however, you can only do it for subfolders inside those main folders.

If you need any more details, feel free to message back!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Re: Differences or pros/cons with moving windows library locations into the dropbox folder vs bac...

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @klepp0906, thanks for posting today!

If you enable the computer backup feature, the Desktop, Documents and Downloads folders would physically move into the Dropbox folder under another folder, such as My PC (DESKTOP-1A2B3B)/, so you'd need to modify any scripts that use the absolute path manually.

Additionally, to set it up, the folder must be in their default location, since you've already moved them into the Dropbox folder, from what you're describing, this would be an extra step for you.

Technically, there isn't a reason to change your current setup since it is working well for you, and you're able to manage it manually rather than the app taking over. Selective sync would also work the same way if you enable computer backup, however, you can only do it for subfolders inside those main folders.

If you need any more details, feel free to message back!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

klepp0906
Collaborator | Level 9

Perfect!  I didnt know if it held any pro's as opposed to doing it the way I have been.  Sounds like apart from potential peace of mind (for the ocd amongst us) of having the libraries back in their default location /users/name/library as opposed to /users/name/dropbox/library that it would actually offer more in the way of cons.  

I'd have to edit scripts and it would create a subfolder in the dropbox folder which id prefer to do without.  At least now i know, always something I can experiment with.

Also introduces complications as I share some of this stuff with another pc and every time i build a new one, i rotate the replaced one to backup duty.  the name of the pc changes to name-backup and the new primary takes over the current primaries name.  

Sounds like complications within that folder and naming and backing up/syncing/sharing when the roles swap.

Either way before i carry on, I appreciate you covering it!

Jay
Dropboxer
Not a problem, @klepp0906, if you have any further queries, feel free to let me know!

Enjoy your week ahead!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    klepp0906 Collaborator | Level 9
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?