cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct Download Error

Direct Download Error

MelPH
Explorer | Level 3

I've been trying to do a direct download on files shared but it keeps giving me an error. It works with dropbox dl but not direct. I can also dl to my macbook (personal). I'm trying to dl to my work laptop.

3 Replies 3

Re: Direct Download Error

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @MelPH, thanks for messaging the Community!

What error are you getting exactly when downloading files?

Are you downloading them using a specific browser? Could you try switching browsers to see if this helps? 

Otherwise, you can try using incognito/private browsing mode without any extensions running, clearing your cache and even resetting your browser entirely. 

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

MelPH
Explorer | Level 3

I've tried with Chrome and as incognito but the error was "there was an error downloading your file".  I was able to dl on Chrome on my macbook (personal laptop) but I already checked with our IT head and he said that there aren't any restrictions to doing direct downloads on our work laptops. I just tried with Edge and it doesn't even give me an error message - just doesn't work.  For both Chrome and Edge I also get this screen - .pptx files are supported but something went wrong.

Thanks

Jay
Dropboxer
It does sound like there's a restriction of some sort to the official Dropbox domains

There is a possibility that a proxy, VPN, firewall, security software, or even ISP/router issues that could be restricting traffic, preventing the download.

Since you were able to download it on your personal device, it means that there is something affecting the work device.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?