cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Directories space volume on Dropbox

Highlighted

Directories space volume on Dropbox

Explorer | Level 4

Hello Fellow users !

Has anyboby been able to check the total space occupied by a specific Directory wihtin Dropbox ?

I mean if I want to download one to my PC I need to know "how much space a Directory" will occupy on my Notebook instead to "filled it up to the rim" and bug it with overload ....

Merci beaucoup guys

p.s Current plan 2GO

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Directories space volume on Dropbox

Dropboxer

Hi @Henri-Clement, thanks for posting today!

You can calculate the size of folders on your account online using the steps here.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi @Henri-Clement, thanks for posting today!

You can calculate the size of folders on your account online using the steps here.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hello Jay !

So far, not good ....

I never used Dropbox to its full potentital but just as a back for Music Files (1,5 TB)

So for about 2/3 years I used Allway Sync Pro Licence to synchronized to any external storage services or local drives with api's with many choices aka Select Synchronization Direction / Propagate Deletions / Propagate Modifictions  (very usefull while retagging files in my Media Librairy)

So I've tried through the Web Brower (Opera 70.0.3728.59) and even installed the DropBox App which I never did before (no specific use for it I'm the only user).

Let me try to get the hang of it during the WE as the explanation seems pretty clear but so far to no avail (was it trought the web access or the dropbox app ?)

It seems I'm not sure Dropbox is not able to calcultate the space occupied towards a number a files extensions (Flac/DSD ...)

I'll get back to you soon ...

Keep sharp during the WE you too

@+

Henri

Highlighted

Dropboxer

No worries, @Henri-Clement, let me know how the progress is when you can.

Just so you're aware, it is possible to download entire folders from the Dropbox site directly, however, the folder must be less than 20 GB in total, or less than 10,000 files. 

If you need to download more, the Dropbox desktop application is the easiest method. Since you have 1.5 TB stored there, you most likely have a paid personal plan, so you can use Smart Sync to mark specific folders as local to download them, while keeping the rest online-only so they don't take up space on your machine.

Keep me posted! 

Jay

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Sun. 10.20am Paris Time

Hello Jay,

Sorry still working on it ... but I kind of lack the concentration needed I reckon.

So my apologies if my topic isn't closed soon.

I'm still fiddling around the way to "see the occupied storage per directoriy" directly on Dropbox and I'm wondering if it is possible or not depending on the file extension type.

I am very reluctant to use any other solution than Alway Sync Pro. for the reasons mentionned above : files indexing comparaison between destinations and applying the fewest modifications possible to match synchro between source and destination.

I can't used any other type of solutions such as Smart Sync, ect. with limitations as my Dropbox Storage keeps music albums in DSD 256 librairy  and that is way over 20GB !

I can't either really afford to "hit and miss" even if Dropbow is a fast Server and I have Optical Fiber the process to upload or download is really time consuming.

So, in conclusion, I'm back one step one and honestly I feel pretty dumb about that

@+

Cheers from the heatwave in the City

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hello @Jay

Ok pblm solved this evening  : the indications are perfect now on DropBox for each Music Directories !

Merci, for your patience 

@+

Henri

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Glad to hear it's working now! Enjoy the rest of your week!

Jay

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?