Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Directory disappeared from my computer.

Explorer | Level 3

I recently had to re-install Windows on my computer - meaning that I also had to re-install Dropbox. After re-installing Dropbox and pointing it to sync the same directory that I had used previously, I found the next day that one of the folders inside that directory had disappeared from my computer, without any input on my part. The directory in question was still on my Dropbox cloud account, but due to the number of files in that directory (and in a few subdirectories), I could not re-download it as a zip file.

Currently, I've unlinked Dropbox from my computer and re-linked it in the hopes that the software will bring the directory back. However, in the meantime, I need to know what caused this to happen, and what can I do to keep it from happening again?

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Directory disappeared from my computer.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @CountZeroOr; happy Monday and welcome to the Dropbox Community!

While I won't be able to pinpoint the culprit without having a look at your device's logs, I guess that this could be due to a 3rd party app/service interacting with specific folders of yours or even due to a change in your Selective sync settings through the app's preferences.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, can you let me know if the desktop app within your computer's system tray is showing that it's 'Up to date' now or still syncing? If it's up to date, are you still not seeing the folder in question? 

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

So, unlinking and relinking Dropbox from the computer got the directory back, but I can't figure out why it disappeared in the first place.

I'm at work at the moment so I can't say if it's showing as "Up to date" at the moment.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I checked on my home computer - it's showing as still syncing, but also the directory was already on the computer when I did the re-install, and there hadn't been any change to the files. I just re-installed the Dropbox software, pointed it to the existing directory, with the intent of having it continue to sync directories as the software had before.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?