cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Disable URL to screenshot when taking a screenshot

Disable URL to screenshot when taking a screenshot

wyred
Helpful | Level 6

When I take a screenshot, a public URL to it is automatically copied.

This has been annoying in a few situations because I had some code copied that I wanted to paste, but overwritten by the screenshot URL.

How can I disable dropbox from automatically copying the URL to my clipboard?

I'm on macOS.

19 Replies 19

corvusco
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I also often need to work with printscreens from browser without information about the URL. I have fast solution: Put your browser to fullscreen mode (F11 usually), than press PrintScreen or Alt+PrintScreen. 

Does it work?

wyred
Helpful | Level 6
I’m not talking about the URL in a browser being captured in the screenshot.

When you take a screenshot, the file gets saved into Dropbox and a public url to it is automatically copied for you. This public url is what I’m referring to.

Norah
Dropbox Staff

Hey wyred, welcome to Dropbox Community!

A screencast reproducing the steps you are taking (omitting any personal information) would help to have a clear image of the issue.

You can learn how to create a screencast using QuickTime Player here. Also, to create a screencast recording the steps on a Mac you can use QuickTime Player 10.x. by downloading this free software here

To create a screencast on Windows follow the steps below: 

• Open “Problem Steps Recorder” by clicking the Start button and then typing psr. 
  • Click Start Record and replicate the steps to show your problem
  • Once you’ve replicated the steps, click Stop Record 
  • In the Save As dialog box, type a name for the file, and then click Save (the file is saved with the .zip file name extension)

Thanks in advance for your time and cooperation!

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

wyred
Helpful | Level 6

1) On macOS, with dropbox installed

2) Take a screenshot of anything

3) Screenshot gets automatically placed in Screenshots folder in dropbox folder

4) Open any text editor

5) Paste text

6) You get a dropbox link to the screenshot you just taken

Problem here is I don't want a dropbox link to the screenshot to be automatically copied.

Norah
Dropbox Staff

Hey wyred

Is it possible that you have a Software that uploads the screenshots to your Dropbox account? If this happens to be the case try disabling this Software, then take a screenshot and see it the URL is still copied. 

If the issue persists, in order to investigate further you can follow up via email here and let me know so I can make sure that a colleague gets on it as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance for your reply! 

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

wyred
Helpful | Level 6

Yes, that software is the dropbox app, which is why I'm here.

I kind of want the screenshot integrations but not the automatically-copy-url-to-clipboard thing.

Rich
Super User II

If there isn't an option in Dropbox Preferences to disable the link creation, then you likely can't. On Windows, it's two separate capture methods; Print Screen for a screenshot, CTRL+Print Screen for a screenshot and a link. That option doesn't seem to be available on a Mac according to the help article on the feature.

annasette
New member | Level 2

Hei Wyred

go on the dropbox icon on the mac menubar, click on the little wheel on the right > preferences > import > uncheck share screenshots using dropbox

Bye

Anna

bemighty
New member | Level 2

:sob: omg this is so sad

Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 12.14.25 AM.png

Need more support?