cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable download feature after sharing dropbox link

Disable download feature after sharing dropbox link

Avi P.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I was wondering if I could upload a video and share with others the link but block their ability to download the video. Is anyone familiar with this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

NYC_Jim
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Hi omashakaren - I just did a Google search and found that Dropbox Professional and Business customers can disable downloads for a shared link (and also set passwords and expiration dates for those links)... but evidently dropbox wants us to pay for those features? I'm guessing that's what it takes to become a Professional or Business customer. $200/year seems like a lot to disable downloads... sigh.

View solution in original post

22 Replies 22

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

you can not.

Avi P.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Is there any third party program that you can link with dropbox? I tried vimeo, but it's either give full access to the public or only myself. I do not want everyone to create a vimeo just so they can see the videos.

Razor C.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I was wondering the same thing... doesn't seem like it... lame! A feature they should consider especially for paying members!

Jannick M.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I did this using Box.com instead. It just sucks because I just switched from Box.com and I really don't want to pay for two storage platforms. 😕

Charlie G.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

That is literally the dumbest thing. I can't believe that they do not have that as a feature. It would be so simple to do. 

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution
Anything view able on the internet is downloadable, dont fall for anything that says you cant.

aaron a.5
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I agree that this is a sorely-needed feature.  Dave is correct that it could be screen-capped, but that's pretty unlikely for most people.

I'd go a step further and say "one play" or "three plays" being possible.  This could be used (by business, which is my use-case) to display a video to a customer, but practically prevent even video capture, since it will only play once.

This can be used for sensitive/confidential materials, like a pre-release demo of a product, preliminary screening of a commercial/etc.

~aaron

Maciek R.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

So basically I can setup a password to a link I share with someone just to let preview the file, but the user can still download my file !!!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

So basically I can setup a password to a link I share with someone just to let preview the file, but the user can still download my file !!!

Yes. If it can be seen on the Internet, it can be downloaded.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    omahakaren New member | Level 2
    NYC_Jim New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?