cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable download feature after sharing dropbox link

Disable download feature after sharing dropbox link

Avi P.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I was wondering if I could upload a video and share with others the link but block their ability to download the video. Is anyone familiar with this?

22 Replies 22

Maciek R.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I know that it can be - I know how to do this too.. but not everybody know and not all will bother to do this..

The level of difficulty of stealing from internet can be set by "disable download" feature.

There is no excuse for servis like Dropbox to have a lack of it.

If you do business with some particular clients - you should not think that they will use some tools to stream and record or screen capture or whatever..

They should be able to read, see or listen but that is all - no download.

Without this function I don't think that I will be a Dropbox user, I will find some other servis.

Dave C.5
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Lets just make sure were all in the real world here.

1) DB do NOT offer an ability to remove the DOWNLOAD options.

2) AND THEY COULD BUT DONT

3) Since the PREVIEW before the download is not the actual download, it IS POSSIBLE to not allow download and NO way to beat it, as no amount of giggling the browser can get the DB server to supply the original file if they dont.

iCompute O.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Dave C. That's precisely why I won't use Dropbox. I was thinking of upgrading but then realised everyone can still download my stuff.

Michael C.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

They could at least have the option to NOT put a big download button at the top.

Elisabeth S.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Dropbox needs this feature. I am going to look at Box.com now.

Travellinghero
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Gah 

Littlebytes
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Anyone find a way to disable downloading a shared file and preventing screenshots?

RNE365
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

SFAIK, you cannot prevent download using Dropbox. If you really need this feature, take a look at Google Drive. 

NYC_Jim
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yes, I want to hide that huge DOWNLOAD button too, but the staff at Dropbox seems not to care what their users want.  Years ago their sharing model was completely broken, and the community pummeled them with requests.  It took years, but eventually we got more alternatibves for limiting the sharing options.  This is the same kind of thing.  And while it's true that anyting on the internet can be stolen, it's beyond most people... unless there is a huge DOWNLOAD button that anyone (or any bot) could click.  Hey Dropbox, it's us again!  Your user community.  Begging you to to let us manage our copyrighted material as we think best.  You've become really successful... now become really attentive to your users!

omahakaren
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Even though BOX says you can skip checking the download box to prevent downloads, when my students receive the link to a video, BOX still gives them the option to download the video. Is there any way BOX can disable downloading completely, unless the person wants to share the video?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    omahakaren New member | Level 2
    NYC_Jim New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?