cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable "Online Only" permanently everywhere?

Disable "Online Only" permanently everywhere?

Explorer | Level 4

How do I disable the "online only" files feature permanently, everywhere? I understand its purpose, but for me this has got to be the most god awful feature ever. I use selective sync because I have too many files and the 32 bit client will not work with anything close to all of them, but when I add a new folder using selective sync, it defaults to online only and only locally syncs the placeholder files instead of the actual files!

I have "online only" disabled everywhere I can find in the app and preferences, like in these 2 images:
y09TZ0bAz8P5jA

Is there somewhere else I can disable Selective Sync from defaulting to Online Only? This is driving me crazy. I like managing my files and folder using selective sync, but I never want any file or folder to be an "online only" placeholder in any situation ever. The way I would prefer it working is anything locally on my PC is always the real, actual file and folder in every circumstance. Then, if I need something from the cloud, I can use selective sync to download that file/folder to my PC and it is the tru file or folder and not a placeholder (this is exactly how it used to work before they added Smart Sync).

1 Reply 1

Re: Disable "Online Only" permanently everywhere?

Dropboxer

Hi @Efaarts; welcome to our Community! 

To cut things short, I'd suggest disabling the system extension from your account's settings online, under the General tab as this should do the trick.

Note that you may need to recall (set to 'Local') manually any files that are shown to be 'Online only' afterwards. 

Let me know if this helped. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?