cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappearing files

margam
Explorer | Level 3

My files were not syncing automatically. When I transferred them to Dropbox, they disappeared from my PC. I wanted Dropbox as a backup, not an alternative to my files saving on my PC. What am I doing wrong and how do I get them back on my PC?

4 Replies 4

Re: Disappearing files

Walter
Dropboxer
Hi @margam; thanks for posting on our Community!

Can you walk me through the exact steps you took when you first set this up? 

Are you able to find your files on our website at all? 

Any additional information will be much appreciated! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

margam
Explorer | Level 3

When I first installed Dropbox in early March, everything backed up automatically. It also appeared to change the path on my computer to my documents. Yesterday I noticed none of my files on Dropbox had been updated so I transferred them from my hard drive. Rather than backing them up everything moved from my hard drive to Dropbox and was no longer on my computer. As far as I can tell, everything is now in Dropbox.

Walter
Dropboxer
I see; thanks for the additional details @margam.

If you'd like to disable the computer backup feature, you can follow the steeps outlined in this Help Center article

Let me know how it goes!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

margam
Explorer | Level 3

No. I'd like to ENABLE the automatic backup feature but not lose the files on my computer by doing so. They only backed up automatically when I installed Dropbox and when I transferred them manually, they disappeared from my computer.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?