cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Discover which Mac deleted the files

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi, 

This morning miraculously folders disappeared from our Businesses Dropbox account. 

I have multiple computers attached to the same account, and I can see that a particular Mac has begun deleting the files. But that mac is coded 'Mac (1)' in the 'Deleted Files' tab on Dropbox.com. How do I find out which of my macs is Mac (1)?

Anyone ideas on how to find out which Mac it was?

Screenshot 2020-03-03 at 12.32.51.png

4 Replies 4

Re: Discover which Mac deleted the files

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @josjansen84121, thanks for checking in with us - let's see what we can do here.

As a first step, could you navigate to your Security tab to see your connected devices?

If you don't find the device in question there, try restoring one of the deleted files and check its version history

Let me know what you find - thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Discover which Mac deleted the files

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I can see the connected devices, but they have different names than the ones used in the 'deleted files' tab.

In the 'deleted files' tab (dropbox online) the names are Mac (1), Mac (2), Mac (3), etcetera. While in the security tab they have names like 'iMac-Adam.local'.

Highlighted

Hard Drive unintentionally renamed: Dropbox Fail

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I've had this issue a couple of times now and would like to see if other users have a way of fixing this.

I use Dropbox on an OSX machine, running on an external hard drive.  It has happened that this drive was unintentionally unmounted (bad cable, power failure). Dropbox will give me a message that it's missing the right disk. Now, when I reconnect that drive, the drive name on the desktop seems good, BUT the drive name in the OSX info panel has a (1) added to its name. (see screenshot).

What happens next, is that Dropbox starts syncing as if it's an EMPTY disk. So all of my Dropbox files are removed, and in a matter of a few hours, all of my data is gone from the disk, as well as in the Dropbox Cloud.

The only way to retrieve the files is to use the 'rewind' function on Dropbox online, and go back in time to the time there was nothing wrong.

Has anyone had a similar situation? And probably a fix?Screenshot 2020-03-03 at 14.10.34.png

Highlighted

Re: Hard Drive unintentionally renamed: Dropbox Fail

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @josjansen84121. I moved your second post under this thread so that we can keep your relevant queries in one place. 

I just wanted to first mention that, in general, we don't recommend having the Dropbox folder in an external hard drive due to unexpected behaviors that can occur, including data deletions, just like the ones your experienced. 

As for your initial question, it seems that what you're seeing from your deleted files tab is the OS of the device that deleted these files. 

Could you try restoring one of the deleted files and checking its version history? 

Let me know how it goes - thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?