cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Disk Space and Unsyncing

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Like others that I've seen on this forum, I too received a 'low disk space' error from my own computer, as well as from Dropbox. We are no where near our limit of space in Dropbox, but I currently have just under 3G left of storage on my Mac.

My preferences were set up as 'Online Only' and yet a ton of folders were downloaded to my Mac. I then tried to Unsync folders via the Nav bar app and when I clicked 'Update', nothing happened.

After these failed attempts, I unlinked my dropbox from my Mac, and uninstalled it from my computer. The files that were synced to my computer are still taking up space but are only visible when I look at my disk space availability (not going through finder).

So, my question is this: Should I delete all of these folders from my hard drive, and reinstall Dropbox? Or will deleting those files have a carry-over affect when I sync again?

I'm not tech savvy and I can't afford to lose any files. That being said, this is very time sensitive as I need this computer to function so that I can fulfill my obligations to my clients. Any assistance will be helpful.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Disk Space and Unsyncing

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there @SeanDalton

If you’ve uninstalled the Dropbox desktop app, it means that all the files that you have on your computer are locally stored and not linked to your Dropbox account in any way. This means that if you delete these files, you won’t be affecting your Dropbox account. 

Since you mention that you’ve uninstalled and unlinked your Dropbox desktop app, you could give the advanced reinstall a try and see if that does the trick. 

Finally, do note that the online-only Smart Sync feature is in respect to new files that are added to your Dropbox account and synced to your Dropbox folder. In other words, files and folders that are already added to your Dropbox account have to be manually set to be online-only

I hope this helps! Let me know of any update on the matter. 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there @SeanDalton

If you’ve uninstalled the Dropbox desktop app, it means that all the files that you have on your computer are locally stored and not linked to your Dropbox account in any way. This means that if you delete these files, you won’t be affecting your Dropbox account. 

Since you mention that you’ve uninstalled and unlinked your Dropbox desktop app, you could give the advanced reinstall a try and see if that does the trick. 

Finally, do note that the online-only Smart Sync feature is in respect to new files that are added to your Dropbox account and synced to your Dropbox folder. In other words, files and folders that are already added to your Dropbox account have to be manually set to be online-only

I hope this helps! Let me know of any update on the matter. 

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I cannot stnd drop box. It holds your files to randsom until you upgrade. I am LIVID. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there @The_Kurgan

Initially, please note that if your account is over the space limit available, your files are still secure in your account and don’t get deleted - Dropbox cannot delete content without any interaction. 

If you’d like to add space to your account, you don’t have to upgrade, but you can earn it! You can find more info about this here

Additionally, if you want to make space, you can remove unwanted content or leave any shared folders that put you over the storage limit. 

I hope this helps to some extent!

Lusil

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?