cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disseminating a link

Disseminating a link

AndyP1951
Helpful | Level 6

The link to my Dropbox walking folder was sent out in a paper newsletter by our local Council so local residents could view and print walks in the area. As it was paper the recipients needed to type the link into their browser. To test it I typed it into my browser and, as it is so long, I double checked that I had typed it correctly. It did not work, I just got an error message!

Clearly whoever sends out the Parish newsletter had not bothered to make sure it works!

However, if I type it into a Word document and then copy and paste it from there into the browser it works fine. Can anyone explain how to get round this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Disseminating a link

AndyP1951
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Walter, the problem is solved. Having now spoken with several users, it was definitely wrongly entering the link which caused the issue.  I spoke with the person at the Parish Council and they too had feedback from the newsletter to say the link did not work. The PC e mailed the link to those people who complained and they were able to open the folder just fine.

In a major boost, the Parish Council have now agreed to put the link onto the Parish website. I have been onto the site and clicked on the link and it works as it should. They will put a bit in their next newsletter in June to tell residents.

Walter, your help is much appreciated but, at last, I can stop bothering you!!!

Regards

Andy

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hello there @AndyP1951, I hope you're well today!

Could you send me a screenshot of the error message that you get when you try open the link with the first method you mentioned?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

AndyP1951
Helpful | Level 6

Thank you so much for your quick reply. Here is the screenshot

AndyP1951_0-1615402831776.png

Just in case it helps, here is the newsletter to which I referred.

AndyP1951_1-1615402887988.png

The Walks are for groups of the elderly of the local area (the Hartley Health Walks) and used to take place pre the first lockdown when we had to stop. The Dropbox route is to let them do the walks alone without getting lost! Both I and others have tried typing the URL into a browser but get the result I described. If I e mail the  URL they can click on it and get the routes no problem so I just do not understand why it is an issue. Anything you could do to help will be very much appreciated.

Regards

Walter
Dropboxer

Sorry to jump in here, but can you clarify if you and the others are logged into your Dropbox accounts when trying to access the link to your Paper doc @AndyP1951?

Also, is there a particular reason you'd like to be manually typing the link to this doc?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

AndyP1951
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks for your interest Walter.

To take your second question first, the newsletter is sent out by our Parish Council, with which I am not involved, with hand delivery by volunteers, to every household in the Parish. The Council do not communicate the newsletter by e mail or on their web site and indeed are highly unlikely to have an e mail address for each household anyway. Consequently there is no other option than to manually type the link into a browser - and, given the complexity of the link, plenty of opportunity for error!

I am a Dropbox user and set up the content and link but many of those who would try the link are not. As I understand it there is no need to be signed in to Dropbox to view the content. Only I can add/remove/edit content. Of course, I need to be logged in to do that and that does not present a problem.

We tested the process on a smaller group of potential users by e mailing them with the link which they were able to click on and view the content whether or not they were signed up to Dropbox. Doing it that way presented no issues.

Thanks again Walter, I hope that the above adds clarity.

Regards

Walter
Dropboxer

I see now, thanks for the additional details, Andy. 

I'm still not sure what could be causing this, but, if it's not too much to ask, could you try copying the PDF files you'd like to share into a newly created folder and then create a new shared link for that folder to see if that helps? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

AndyP1951
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks Walter, I already have another folder set up (I run another walking group with longer walks separately to the Hartley Health Walk) so tomorrow I will have a crack at typing the link into my wife's browser rather than just clicking the link. I know that clicking the link from an e mail works fine - it has been tested by several people already with no problems notwithstanding that few, if any, are Dropbox users in their own right. It also works on smartphones!

I will get back to you once I have done this. I much appreciate your interest in this.

Regards

Andy

AndyP1951
Helpful | Level 6

2nd Reply

Hi again Walter

Latest update!

I typed the URL of my second group folder into my browser on my PC (where Dropbox is registered) and got the "That didn't work" error message I showed in my earlier message. I clicked on "Back to File" at the bottom of the error message and that took me to the Dropbox folder with all my files and sub folders in  "Home" - "Suggested for your Activity" which is OK for me but not for the 2 separate groups of walkers.

I got my wife to type it in to her laptop (on which we have successfully opened the PDF walks using the click on link in my e mail to the group) and she got the "That didn't work" error message but when she clicked on "Back to File" she got

AndyP1951_0-1615543696352.png

I assume that is my sign in which is inappropriate since only I should be able to update routes (they change!!)

If you would like to try on your system the URL is

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kgeixebbyhli7dq/AAD38yOuefjFRhO5NADqgV_Fa?dl=0

Clicking on it as usual and Copy and paste into my browser works OK, it just does not like it being typed in manually!

I appreciate that this is a bit of a challenge for you (and anyone else for that matter) but any guidance you can give would be appreciated.

Regards

Andy

Walter
Dropboxer
The link seems to be working fine on my end, Andy.

Could you check if you're typing it correctly when doing this manually?

For example, the only zero in your link is the one in the end; the ones before are 'O'es. 

Also, the vertical line in the first part after the '/sh/' portion is not a capital 'I', but a lowercase L. 

Let me know if this changes anything! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

AndyP1951
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Walter - I think that you have cracked the problem. I typed it in correctly on my PC which is why it worked but when my wife (and others) did it they interpreted 4l9 as 419. She got the zero right!

I am going to try it out on another member of the group to make sure then I will get back to you. So grateful for your help with this.

Regards

Andy

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?