cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how Community ideas impact Dropbox development? Check it out here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Very basic question

Do I need to place content in the Dropbox folder in order to use Smart Sync?

JustEnoughToBeDangerous
New member | Level 2

Maybe this is a dumb question...

To use the "online only" feature, does a folder HAVE to be in the Dropbox folder (in the finder on my Mac)...?  I'd like to put up several huge folders, and I'd like to keep them in the place that makes sense in my file hierarchy, rather than put them in the Dropbox folder.  I've uploaded them---using the "upload" button on dropbox.com---but they don't get the green check/circle next to them.

I CAN get them to show up in the finder with the green check/circle, but only by going to the Dropbox icon up top, finder the folder in the Activity, and selecting "show in finder".  I can right click and tell it "online only".  But all the files seem to still be in the original folder.

Am I trying to do something Dropbox wasn't designed to do?  Do I just need to put these into the Dropbox folder to get this functionality?

2 Replies 2

Vicker
Super User

Hi @JustEnoughToBeDangerous ,

Apart from the Dropbox folder, you may backup additional folder locations using the Computer Backup feature. However, the Computer Backup feature only covers Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures and Movies folder (for a mac). If your folder is placed in one of these folders, it may suit your need.

For details, you may check out this official documentation.

How to use computer backup

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/computer-backup

Cheers

Vicker

Megan
Dropboxer
Hey @JustEnoughToBeDangerous, I hope you're doing well!

Any content in your Dropbox folder should be synced by the website.

Essentially this folder, is your Dropbox account. Therefore all functionality, including the Smart Sync feature you mentioned take place there. 

As @Vicker mentioned, you can also work with other directories, by enabling the Computer backup feature.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?