cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do members of a shared folder get a notification that a file has been added?

Do members of a shared folder get a notification that a file has been added?

jgertler
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I've shared a dropbox folder with 12 other people. If I upload a file to the folder, do I have to email everyone I shared the folder with or do they get a notification that a file has been added to the folder?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @jgertler

Depending on the settings that users have set for their account, they’ll receive the relevant notification. You can find more info regarding desktop and mobile notifications here and email notifications here

More specifically though, if you’re referring to email notifications, please note that members won’t get a notification every time a file is added to the shared folder. However, if they have set to receive a notification via email for Activity in shared folders, they’ll receive it on a weekly basis. 

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @jgertler

Depending on the settings that users have set for their account, they’ll receive the relevant notification. You can find more info regarding desktop and mobile notifications here and email notifications here

More specifically though, if you’re referring to email notifications, please note that members won’t get a notification every time a file is added to the shared folder. However, if they have set to receive a notification via email for Activity in shared folders, they’ll receive it on a weekly basis. 

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

S_B_P
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Is there a way to change this setting to be able to notify via email whenever there is a change in the shared folder instead of weekly?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @S_B_P, thanks for joining the discussion here!

At the moment, there isn't an option to change the frequency of this notification. 

Since this isn't currently a feature, perhaps you could share this idea here. Other users will be able to upvote and share their interest in the idea too.

Sorry that I couldn't help more with this, but do let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

toddmorgan
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

How to notify a member or members of a new file uploaded into the shared folder?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @toddmorgan, thanks for posting!

I've merged your post here as it seems you have a similar question to the OP. When you have the chance, please check out the info provided above and let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

BlackBird11
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Is there a way to notify them? Like a group text or something for all the users that have access to that one folder? Thanks!

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @BlackBird11, currently, there isn't a direct method to inform users of a new file in a shared folder. 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

kamerali
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I need this too. Will this feature ever be added? It's a nightmare when something has been updated and I have to remember to nofity the other members each time. 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@kamerali wrote:

I need this too. Will this feature ever be added? It's a nightmare when something has been updated and I have to remember to nofity the other members each time. 

Dropbox doesnt release roadmaps or timescales I'm afraid. However, my personal opinion is that it wont happen due to how unreliable email delivery is and the HUGE strain it would put on the servers

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Photopro New member | Level 2
    james b.82 New member | Level 2
    kamerali New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?