cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Do my photos and videos remain on Dropbox if I delete them from my phone?

Helpful | Level 6

I've taken thousands of photos with my phones over the last few years, and they're all automatically uploaded to Dropbox. Now both my phone and SD Card are nearly full and I wish to delete a large portion of old photos and videos to free up space. Will the Dropbox copy remain after I clear the files from my phone?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Do my photos and videos remain on Dropbox if I delete them from my phone?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @AnthonyB,

Once your photos have been uploaded into Dropbox, you can go ahead and remove them from your device's camera roll and they will remain safely within Dropbox. After uploading the photos, there isn't any connection between the files.

For the photos to be removed from your Dropbox account, you would need to actively delete them from within the Dropbox mobile app.

I hope this info helps - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @AnthonyB,

Once your photos have been uploaded into Dropbox, you can go ahead and remove them from your device's camera roll and they will remain safely within Dropbox. After uploading the photos, there isn't any connection between the files.

For the photos to be removed from your Dropbox account, you would need to actively delete them from within the Dropbox mobile app.

I hope this info helps - Thanks!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Thanks very much. So it's an upload, not a two-way synchronization.

That's a relief.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

That's right @AnthonyB!

This is the case with the mobile app as it is similar to viewing your files via the website. 

I'd just like to mention that if you have the desktop app installed on your computer, the Dropbox folder created will have "2 way syncing" as you put it. So anything you add, delete or edit via the Dropbox folder will sync to your account online and vice versa.

Have a great day - Thanks!

Daphne

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

That helps. Thank you

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?