cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Size Limit

Highlighted

Space

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Does the amount of space I have in my account matter when uploading files to someone else's space that they shared with me?

Highlighted

Re: Space

Super User II
Super User II

@122Lake wrote:

Does the amount of space I have in my account matter when uploading files to someone else's space that they shared with me?

Yes, because you're not uploading to their space. You're uploading to a folder in your account that happens to be shared with other people. Anything in your account takes up space in your account.

If you need to upload something to someone without it taking up space in your account, and you don't need access to the file after you've uploaded it, ask them to send you a File Request.

Highlighted

need help nowwwwww !!!

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Dear All

i bought a plan for my own with 2 TB on my labtop

i had created a shared file for my other labtop owned by me 100 % and for another party

but they can't edit and their accounts limited space ; SO:

the space is calculated for:

1. me (as an owner of the file)

2. every one I shared the file to him !!!

this is not accepted for me at all; because I already paid for that space and calculated from my account and I should be the only one that will be charged for it !!!

I'm waiting your action immediately because I'm really not satisfied !!!!

[personal information removed per the Community's Guidelines]

Highlighted

Re: need help nowwwwww !!!

Super User II
Super User II

@Dr-Zahran wrote:

... I already paid for that space and calculated from my account and I should be the only one that will be charged for it !!!

Since the shared folder exists in the other accounts as well, it takes up space in those account. They also need to have enough space in their accounts to hold the shared folder. They do not get to benefit from your upgrade. Refer to the following help article for more information.

Highlighted

Contacting Support

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

My clients use Dropbox. They invited me to use THEIR dropbox; but, I am being told that MY free account is full.

Why would I pay for my clients file storage??? I don't understand this. Has anyone else encountered this?

Also, there seems to be absolutely no support unless you are paying for an account personally.  I think my client has paid for a business account; but, again I can't contact support.

Highlighted

Re: Contacting Support

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @atower, thanks for checking in with us. 

It sounds like you were sent a shared folder which takes up space in every member’s account, including yours when you add it.

I've moved your post here, where other users have also expressed a similar concern. 

In any case, let us know if you have any other questions. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Shared folders

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
I have given one of my contractors a folder in dropbox that I pay monthly for but he is saying he needs to pay for a seperate subscription to have the space in my shared folder ? Why would he need to pay if I already have paid for the storage space ?
Highlighted

Re: Out of Space on Share Folder

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey again @Sammyj!

I've just moved your post here as it seems that you have a similar question to the OP.

Please take a look at Rich's post here when you have the chance and let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Size Limit

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have the free account with Dropbox and have stored none of my own files in this storage. Another user has shared a folder with me but this folder now exceeds the 2Gb free limit which means I can no longer save files to this shared folder. Another user owns the folder not me so why can I no longer use this folder?

Highlighted

Re: Size Limit

Super User II
Super User II

@llwynygan wrote:

Another user owns the folder not me so why can I no longer use this folder?

Another user may own the folder, but it exists and takes up space in your account as well. Anything in your account counts towards your storage quota.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?