cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how Community ideas impact Dropbox development? Check it out here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do shared folders take up space towards my account's quota?

abelcubano
New member | Level 2

Hi.

I have a friend that shared their folder and has enough space. When I try to upload files to their folder, Dropbox says I am out of space? I am not using their current space?

Thank You

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Out of Space on Share Folder

Rich
Super User II

@abelcubano wrote:

When I try to upload files to their folder, Dropbox says I am out of space? I am not using their current space?

No, you're not. Shared folders exist in your account as well, so you're limited to the space available in your account.

View solution in original post

50 Replies 50

Rich
Super User II

@abelcubano wrote:

When I try to upload files to their folder, Dropbox says I am out of space? I am not using their current space?

No, you're not. Shared folders exist in your account as well, so you're limited to the space available in your account.

View solution in original post

AI61
New member | Level 2

Hi i am just needing to know when someone shares a folder with me does it add to my data space count ? i can see a few shared folders and now my dropbox is full and i need to pay for more memory if i wish to upload more files. i would have thought that i am just looking at colleges shared files and not uploading them to my box?

Re: Do shared folders take up space towards my account's quota?

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @AI61, thanks for checking in with us. I moved your post here where another user had a similar concern.

As such, when you have the chance, check out what Rich mentions in their reply and don't hesitate to get back to us with any other questions. 

Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Boss has plenty of storage on DB but when I drop files it says I don't have the space.

MikeBencik
New member | Level 2

So it looks like I have an account as well as my boss has one. But drop box has connected the two accounts. Drop Box keeps telling me that I need more memory, but he bougtht the largest plan. It is treating DB on my computer like it is a personal DB instead of his.

Re: Boss has plenty of storage on DB but when I drop files it says I don't have the space.

Rich
Super User II

@MikeBencik wrote:

It is treating DB on my computer like it is a personal DB instead of his.

Because it is your personal Dropbox account.

Unless you're a member of a Business Team account, shared folders you access take up space in your account as well. If your boss has a Plus or Professional account, that's his account, and you don't get to benefit from whatever storage he has available.

Company shared folder with me to upload, however Dropbox uses my quota

michaelcjnm
New member | Level 2

A company shared a folder from their Dropbox account -- I uploaded to it from my account (I'm using a free 2gb account). However, it uses my account quota and I now cannot upload any more to their shared folder. This does not make any sense to me as I should be using their quota. How to avoid this issue? 

Re: Company shared folder with me to upload, however Dropbox uses my quota

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @michaelcjnm; welcome to the Community!

As your query is best addressed here on this discussion, I just moved your post under this thread. 

Feel free to take a look and let us know if you have any follow up questions!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

twinfalls
New member | Level 2

Why is my space used when I am sharing to another party's account? They have paid for extra space. Why do I have to upgrade my account to add to their accounts folders?

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi @twinfalls, thanks for nudging us on this thread. 

I just wanted to mention that shared folders take up space in all members' accounts, and you can find more info about it in this article

Let us know if you have any other questions and we'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rob W Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropboxer
    Rich Super User II
    rjrcooper New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?