cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Documents, Downloads, and Desktop folders are gone on my MB Pro. Dropbox has folders but no files

Documents, Downloads, and Desktop folders are gone on my MB Pro. Dropbox has folders but no files

tgelhaus
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello there!

So to preface, I'm relatively new to Dropbox, and only got it for a couple work gigs. But the moment it had access to my computer, it started creating a backup I think? Which, with only 2 GB of Dropbox Basic storage, there was no way it could do that with the 200+GB of stuff on my computer. So naturally it filled up pretty quickly, and I paused the sync.

At this point I try to free up some space, so I go to the dropbox folder in my Mac, select the attempted backup of my computer, and delete it. I think it was then that the folders disappeared, but I didn't notice until I was in the Dropbox system preferences trying to make it stop creating automatic backups...tried to deselect the Desktop, Downloads, and Documents folders and save, but then a message popped up saying the folders couldn't be located...

So now this morning comes around, and the folders(Desktop, Downloads, Documents) are back on my computer, along with all my personal folders inside them, but all of my actual DOCUMENTS...all my pdfs of taxes, all pictures, work documents.. are just GONE. Can anyone help me out? where did all my actual files go and how do I get them back??

Many thanks in advance

36 Replies 36

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @ryanjenks, sorry to hear about this.

Can you please let us know some additional information about the issue you're facing? Did you enable the computer backup feature when you installed the desktop app on your computer, perhaps? 

Do you see any of the missing files on our website, be it in the deleted files page or the events page?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

ryanjenks
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Hello,

Thanks for such a quick reply! In regards to the computer back up I don’t believe I did. Also I did not see the missing files in either of those categories.

It’s very weird. My files were all there and then Dropbox downloaded and everything is just vanished. I got my desktop and documents back but they are empty all my stuff is gone. As for my downloads folder, that is just completely gone. I reached out to Apple support and they weren’t able to help me and we’re confused by the situation as well.
I really hope the files are not just gone. I have worked really hard on the contents in those files.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Have you tried enabling the hidden files to show up on your computer to see if you can find your files that way @ryanjenks?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

ryanjenks
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
I have yes.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for clearing this up for me @ryanjenks

May I reach out via email to have a better look internally?

I'm not promising anything, I just want to make sure we've covered all bases. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

ryanjenks
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Hi. Yes you may.
My laptop is currently in the shop right now as I am hopping they can retrieve my files.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
I hope they'll be able to help, Ryan. 

In any case, as promised, I just sent you an email, so please take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

John T.64
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi,

I have a friend going through this exact scenario at the moment. Desktop, Documents and Downloads folders do not physically exist, contents of what has been transferred to Dropbox are incomplete and she has already been in contact with Support who have advised her to reinstall and cancel syncing so that files may be restored.

I don't use the Computer Backup function myself, so I've no experience in this exact scenario. 

Having looked at this thread, the showing hidden files tip hasn't yielded the files/folders she's looking for, nor the deleted files/events at the site. What I have done is arranged for her to get the Dropbox installer onto a USB stick and launching it that way, as it couldn't be downloaded.

She's now receiving a prompt on launch asking her to either restore the Dropbox folder's location or relink to her account to restore from the "web version".

Both of us are unsure what to do at this step as a) this thread does not address this step specifically and b) we just want to restore the contents of those folders.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

John T.64
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Really need some assistance with this, please?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
I'm sorry for the late response, John - I was out of the office for a few days.

Are you still having issues with this?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JoelJoel New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    klabarbera New member | Level 2
    SamVT New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?