cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Documents, Downloads, and Desktop folders are gone on my MB Pro. Dropbox has folders but no files

Documents, Downloads, and Desktop folders are gone on my MB Pro. Dropbox has folders but no files

tgelhaus
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello there!

So to preface, I'm relatively new to Dropbox, and only got it for a couple work gigs. But the moment it had access to my computer, it started creating a backup I think? Which, with only 2 GB of Dropbox Basic storage, there was no way it could do that with the 200+GB of stuff on my computer. So naturally it filled up pretty quickly, and I paused the sync.

At this point I try to free up some space, so I go to the dropbox folder in my Mac, select the attempted backup of my computer, and delete it. I think it was then that the folders disappeared, but I didn't notice until I was in the Dropbox system preferences trying to make it stop creating automatic backups...tried to deselect the Desktop, Downloads, and Documents folders and save, but then a message popped up saying the folders couldn't be located...

So now this morning comes around, and the folders(Desktop, Downloads, Documents) are back on my computer, along with all my personal folders inside them, but all of my actual DOCUMENTS...all my pdfs of taxes, all pictures, work documents.. are just GONE. Can anyone help me out? where did all my actual files go and how do I get them back??

Many thanks in advance

36 Replies 36

John T.64
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Walter,

Thanks for your reply - I know that my friend was speaking with Lucas from Tech Support, I'll attempt to find out what's happened since and get back to you.

vanatf0und
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi! Has anyone figured out a solution for this? I'm having the same problem. Apple support said its a Dropbox issue. 

SamVT
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I’d just like to chime in this exact issue is happening to me currently as well. I wanted to use Dropbox Backup and the moment I started my downloads folder disappeared. Fortunately it saved my files to Dropbox but now my downloads folder is broken and just an alias to a Dropbox copy of my downloads folder. But now I can’t download anything since that local folder is broken.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @SamVT - sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Have you by any chance tried to disable the computer backup feature properly as outlined here

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

klabarbera
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm having a very similar issue with desktop, downloads, and documents being in my dropbox account online but removed from the laptop. I had deleted dropbox not knowing it had done this and now I can't redownload it because it's holding my download file hostage. I can't download anything because the location does not exist. I contacted apple support for hours before nailing down that it was a dropbox issue and there's no way to contact customer support with dropbox. This whole thing is super frustrating. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @klabarbera, sorry to hear you're having issues with this. 

Could you please let us know some additional information?

For example, did you disable the computer backup feature before uninstalling the desktop app from your computer?

Also, if you're getting any specific errors, I'd appreciate a screenshot so that we can have a visual too.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

JoelJoel
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hey I had exactly the same problem. Initiated a sync on Dropbox helpful suggestion and my desktop disappeared. I followed another comment on this thread and tried to get into Finder. Couldn't find it. Eventually I got into finder, and clicked Desktop. All the files were there and they magically reappeared on my desktop. Thanks Dropbox..... not. I have the 2 TB account so maybe that helped.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JoelJoel New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    klabarbera New member | Level 2
    SamVT New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?