cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Dropbox app automatically upload full res photos when iCloud "Optimize iPhone Storage" is on?

Does Dropbox app automatically upload full res photos when iCloud "Optimize iPhone Storage" is on?

chimerical
Helpful | Level 5

I know this question has been asked repeatedly in the forums over the years, but since most of the threads are at best a year old, dating all the way back to 2017, and there's no official FAQ response, I wanted to confirm what the latest status is for the question.

Does the Dropbox iOS app automatically upload full resolution photos when the iCloud "Optimize iPhone Storage" setting is on? Or does it upload the local low resolution photo on the device?

The most common answer I've heard implies that the Dropbox app would "connect to iCloud servers" to download the full resolution image first before uploading to the Dropbox app. I'm not sure if that's something Apple makes available to third party apps accessing the camera roll, but I wanted to confirm if I can interpret this to mean that yes, it fetches the full resolution photos from iCloud every time if it's not on the device already.

From January this year:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/Do-optimised-photos-in-iCloud-download-to-came...

From 2019:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/Using-Dropbox-Camera-Upload-and-Apple-iCloud-P...

From 2017 (from someone identifying as a member of the mobile team at the time):

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/How-to-speed-up-Dropbox-uploads-on-iPhone/td-p... 

Here's a confusing one from 2017 that seems to suggest the opposite, that the local low-res photo may be uploaded:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/Does-Dropbox-play-nicely-with-iCloud-Photo-Lib... 

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Re: Does Dropbox app automatically upload full res photos when iCloud "Optimize iPhone Storage" i...

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey there @chimerical, thanks for posting on our Community and happy Monday!

Please note that if you have iCloud Photo Library enabled, and have its "Optimize iPhone Storage" setting enabled, it will save your full-resolution files in iCloud and store "optimized" versions on your phone.

Since the full-resolution images are stored in iCloud, the "camera uploads" feature needs to connect to the iCloud servers to upload each full-resolution image to Dropbox. This can be a slow process that depends on the strength of the connection to the iCloud servers.

I hope this helps!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Does Dropbox app automatically upload full res photos when iCloud "Optimize iPhone Storage&

chimerical
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks Walter! I don't mind too much if it's slower, since it's understandable why. But I was just looking to check that it's never going to try to upload the optimized version to Dropbox, and it sounds like you're confirming that won't happen (which is great).

Re: Does Dropbox app automatically upload full res photos when iCloud "Optimize iPhone Storage&

Walter
Dropboxer
Glad I could clear this up for you @chimerical

See you around the Community and have a lovely week ahead!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    chimerical Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?