cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Does Dropbox duplicate folders on my Mac

Does Dropbox duplicate folders on my Mac

GTL
New member | Level 2

I have just renewed my subscription, and everything seems to be different.

On one of my Mac drives I have a large library of sound files, 188GB, which I selected to upload.  I am getting mgs saying it will take another 21 hours, If I switch off for the night, will it resume when I switch back on tomorrow ?

Also, it seems to be duplicating by 188GB folder in the Dropbox folder on my system drive, which will choke it completely ?

Surely this can't be right ? Should I have tried to do the backup some other way ?

1 Reply 1

Re: Does Dropbox duplicate folders on my Mac

Mark
Super User II

1) yes the upload will restart when you turn the machine back on

2) yes thats what happened - you copied the folder to Dropbox so you now have two versions of it on your computer - one in Dropbox and one in its original location. 

Please remember Dropbox is NOT a backup tool. It is a syncing one. It shouldnt be used as a back up tool - its not intended for that.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?