cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow upload speeds on Windows 7

Slow upload speeds on Windows 7

Soonjas
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I am experiencing the super slow upload speed via Dropbox desktop App ( v 120.4.4598 ) and I am running Windows 7. It used to be good and only recently noticed super slow upload speed. Funny thing is, upload via chrome browser works and utilizes my bandwidth to the max which is great. I have tried reinstalling the app, playing around with settings, rebooting router and modem, speed tests, tried that fix by merk. Also have tried installing Dropbox onto a laptop (win7) and get the same upload speed around 250KB/s. It seems like there is hard limit on the upload speed set by Dropbox.

I have wasted too much time on this. It is not my internet, as upload speeds are great to Google Drive and other speedtests, even the dropbox browser upload is fast.

Conclusion is the desktop app upload is slow. Definitely something wrong with the desktop app. So tempted to try the Filezilla Pro option, have to pay though =( 

Please fix this Dropbox!

57 Replies 57

xerkon
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Basically, uploading to dropbox via the web works as it should (10 MB per second). But uploading via dropbox folder is stuck at 1 MB per second, even after selecting the "do not limit" option. Is that setting broken on Windows 7? Could someone check that on their computer?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @xerkon, have you checked my previous response to see if any app or service is throttling your upload speed in the desktop app?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Soonjas
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

That can't be true. As I said, I can upload fine via Dropbox browser( Chrome browser). when I upload via the Dropbox app, it appears to have a hard limit on the upload rate.

xerkon
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Sorry, @Jay, I'm not getting it. How can my web browser (firefox) upload/download at full speed from www.dropbox.com while an app that was made by dropbox for accessing dropbox can't? It sounds like what you're saying is that the dropbox desktop app doesn't know how to correctly communicate with its own domain? But that's the whole purpose of the app!

Also, I have no idea what you mean by "checking" a domain. Check how? With what tools? Maybe you wouldn't mind giving me an example, if you still think that might be the issue. Thanks!

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

There can be some apps or services which restrict other apps on your computer. Antivirus and security software can prevent the Dropbox app from connecting to the site, or preventing it from connecting at full speed. 

Try disabling any software which could be related to this. This article also gives more information on what could be causing this.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
The browser is a separate app when compared to the desktop app, so different services on the computer might not affect the browser.

Try to disable any security apps or antivirus programs to see if they help with the desktop app upload speed.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Soonjas
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I don't have any antivirus software running or security apps on all three of my Windows 7 devices. 

It was working fine, until the recent updates to the Dropbox app...........There are others also experiencing this same issue

Soonjas
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hey @xerkon  I am too experiencing this issue, and so are others. Windows 7 as well.

This is my post here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/Does-Dropbox-limit-the-upload-speed-Very-Slow-...

There is obviously a problem with Dropbox app with Windows 7.

xerkon
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi, @Soonjas thanks for sending me that link (I put a link in your thread to this one).  I quickly perused your thread and it seems like we have the same problem. It's as if the upload speed is stuck at it's default value even after selecting no limit.

@JayI am also not running any security software whatsoever, so it can't be that.

I really hope I'm wrong about this, but it's starting to feel like a "well, windows 7 support has officially ended, so....we can't guarantee that any of our products will continue to work with windows 7" kind of thing.

xerkon
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

scunningham Explorer | Level 4
    rootsandculture Explorer | Level 3
    Insane5656 New member | Level 2
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?