Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does OmniDiskSweeper report storage correctly?

g v.
Collaborator | Level 9

I selected some files to appear "online only" with SmartSync to free space, About this Mac reports there's 3 GB space and says Your Disk Is Almost Full, OmniDiskSweeper says it's 14 GB free. 

Is this true, could someone from Dx check please? thanks

mojave 10.14.6, dx 82.4.55, OmniDiskSweeper 11.1 (v30.2 r318569)

(I'm pretty sure I gave this a title and made a new topic when I first posted this question and didn't add it to page 61 of an endless thread about smartsync. However, with smartsync zero-size placeholder programme resetting modification dates (!!) I prefer to have a wrong file size reported for a while. my mac seems to calculate storage correctly eventually.)

7 Replies 7

Re: Does OmniDiskSweeper report storage correctly?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

You did create a new thread @g v. and thank you for that! 

Sorry to hear you are having this issue with your storage space. Please be aware we do not have access to any account information via the Community and for me to report and investigate this properly I would like to ask some questions. 

1. What is the version of Dropbox you have installed? 
  2. Is your Dropbox status "Up to date"?
  3. Please add a screenshot showing the hard drive space Dropbox occupies on your device. 

Looking forward to your reply. Thanks for your time and patience @g v. . 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

g v.
Collaborator | Level 9

del

g v.
Collaborator | Level 9

edit - I don't get it. 

my unloaded files show for example

13'491'845 bytes (Zero bytes on disk)

my storage correctly says 17 GB available, just the bar is wrong: 

Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 08.41.37.png

so all is well even without zero size placeholder program. The problem is speed: I want to know immediately if I have unloaded enough files to not fill my hard drive, or need to unload some more before going on a trip to internet-free space. 

I want to use OmniDiskSweeper to see this. It would be interesting to have that confirmed from dx side. Do you have a computer where you could install OmniDiskSweeper, sweep the HD, unload a large folder, sweep again and check if it reports the new size correctly immediately before On My Mac gets it?

thanks

dx is 82.5.155, not 82.5.55. 

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thank you so much for the screenshot. It does make sense to want to know how much space you have available to upload and perform other tasks. OmniDiskSweeper could be helpful with this. Not sure how this party app tracks and reports storage exactly, but it seems to be working. Cannot really check on my end but I can help with the following. 

In Finder, some locations display the logical size of files and others the physical size. A Smart Sync placeholder takes up approximately 0kb, this is the pysical size. The logical size of the file is the actual size of the file, if it were downloaded to the device.

To see both the logical and physical file size:
- Right click on a file/folder
- Select 'Get info'
- In the properties window you will see the original file size, followed by the actual on-disk size

For example:428,510 bytes (0 KB on disk)

Let me know what you find. 

Fiona

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

g v.
Collaborator | Level 9

yes, physical file size is 0, logical is what it would have if it were downloaded. Untitled.pngUntitled.png

g v.
Collaborator | Level 9

which locations did you mean would display logical and physical file size? In the Finder under Size? 

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Yes! I am happy to see it's working. 

Zero bytes on disk!  

Fiona

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?