cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does drop box do this? If so, how?

Does drop box do this? If so, how?

New member | Level 2

Ok,

I am trying to set something up where I have a lot, say 1TB of data in the cloud.  This is effectively the working files and folders for a small team.  Each member of the team has a copy of this locally on their device.  They will update the files and folders on their devices and then everybody wants to sync between each other.  

Looking at drop box I keep thinking that I've got to manually select the files that need to be synced and moving them into a dropbox folder whereas what I want is the syncing to be automatic so that whatever the mechanism is it, say, has a directory as a top node below which everything is then synced between devices and once set up the users need have nothing to do with the mechanism holding it all together beyond, say, haveing a button that says sync or go online or similar.

Can drop box do this, if so how?

1 Reply 1

Re: Does drop box do this? If so, how?

Dropboxer

Hello there @Robin B, I hope you're having a great Monday!

With the Dropbox desktop app, anything within the Dropbox folder on the computer will sync automatically, as long as the app is running.

In this case, if you have the folders you want to share and work on within the Dropbox folder, you can simply work on the files from there.

Any edits made will sync with the account online, and with the Dropbox folders on other devices.

This way, you just need to open the file and work on it as you would do any other file on the computer, and Dropbox will take care of the rest for you.

If you only need to sync a selection of files from Dropbox to the computer, you can use selective sync to choose which folders and save some hard drive space.

Let me know if this sounds like it would work for you!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?