cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does moving files on desktop app (within Dropbox folder structure) create a download/upload event?

Does moving files on desktop app (within Dropbox folder structure) create a download/upload event?

Besty
Explorer | Level 4

Hi all,

I've just finished backing up 12,000+ photo's from the phone to the Camera Roll.

If I want to sort these from my desktop, one they have all downloaded to my desktop in say /Dropbox/Camera Roll/...

If I create a bunch of sub fodlers still within Dropbox, say /Dropbox/Photos/2019... etc etc...

THEN cut & paste them from the Dropbox/Camer Roll into relevent fodlers elsewhere in Dropbox, what happens:-

1 - The file I cut is deleted from Dropbox and the "pasted" file re-uploaded again to it's new location form the desktop?

OR

2 - Cut & paste on the desktop but Dropbox knows it's the same file and just indexes it's new location in Dropbox rather than following a new deletion/upload?

Just want to get it right in my head as it a LOT of files to be re-uploading if it's the latter. In which case, I'd be better off just downloading the lot back to the Desktop to a non-Dropbox folder, sort them all out then re-upload the lot again into Dropbox in the folder structure I want.

I'm currently grouping them into year folders inside the camera roll within the Dropbox web portal and even that is taking an eternity. Each year is about 3000+ photo's and takes 45-60 mins just to move within Dropbox web portal.

1 Reply 1

Re: Does moving files on desktop app (within Dropbox folder structure) create a download/upload even

Rich
Super User II

@Besty wrote:

If I create a bunch of sub fodlers still within Dropbox, say /Dropbox/Photos/2019... etc etc... THEN cut & paste them from the Dropbox/Camer Roll into relevent fodlers elsewhere in Dropbox, what happens:

Dropbox will index the files and realize that they already exist online, then make the necessary changes within your account. While this is happening it will APPEAR as though Dropbox is uploading/downloading, but it's smart enough to know what files already exist online.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?