cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the recipient of a shared link to a file need an account to edit it?

Does the recipient of a shared link to a file need an account to edit it?

jazzmeg1
Advanced | Level 16
Go to solution

Hello,

I realize that you can share a link so that it can be either edited or viewed. Does the recipient need to have an account to edit?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jazzmeg1
Advanced | Level 16
Go to solution

Hi

Hello

This is what I am talking about.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/56f8rv2r8jovul0/2020-07-10%20%282%29_LI.jpg?dl=0

Anyway, I got the answer from a Dropbox support. I copied and pasted the reply below. 

There are two different link options for Google and Microsoft Office files that are in your Dropbox account: Can Edit and Can View. These links differ from regular Dropbox shared links in a few ways.

For Google and Microsoft Office files, links are centralized to each file, rather than unique per person who creates a link for a file. What this means is that the same links are visible to all people who have the ability to share a Google or Microsoft Office file.

The new link options can be used to grant other Dropbox users edit or view access to a file. They also effectively add individuals who access via the link as a member of the file, enabling the files to appear in search results and activity feeds of the Dropbox accounts of those individuals.

These links also ensure that anyone who accesses a Google or Microsoft Office file using a link will be given the highest permissions level available to them. This is based on factors such as file membership, folder membership or link type used to access the file.

Edit & View links to a Google or Microsoft Office file in your Dropbox account will also remain active even if the original creator of the link leaves the team, has their account deactivated, or otherwise loses access to the file. If you wish to remove the links, they must be manually deleted for each file they have been created on.

Some other points to note:

• Links are created by default when the file is first opened in the relevant cloud editor, and are available in your browser URL bar. The type of link created depends on the permissions of the person opening the file: Someone with Edit access to the file will see an Edit link in their URL bar, and someone with View access will see a View link in their URL bar
  • Links can be deleted if you do not wish to share the file using a link
  • If an individual is logged in, they can view the file in the cloud editor, leave comments, and depending on the level of access they have inherited, make edits to the file. Edits will save back to Dropbox automatically.
  • If an individual is logged out, opening an Edit or View link will allow them to preview the file, but they cannot make edits or comments to the file.
  • Both types of link are centralized for each file, meaning that the same links are visible to all people who have the ability to share the file.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

ITConsultingAfrica
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Hi

A quick look online showed me this:

If you need to work with someone on files, you can create a shared folder. Files in shared folders sync between members’ Dropbox accounts, so each member of a shared folder needs a Dropbox account.

So it seems that a person that needs to edit, needs a Dropbox account. To view a file, a Dropbox account is not needed. 

Regards

Casper

jazzmeg1
Advanced | Level 16
Go to solution

Hi casper, 

Thank you for the information.

You need to have an account to share a "folder", and 

I know you can share a "link" with view-only right with people who don't have an account.

So I was wondering a link with edit right can be shared with people without an account.

But thank you anyway.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @jazzmeg1, I just wanted to jump in and clarify that a shared link can only give view-only access and users don't need an account. 

As you also mention, if you want users to have editing capabilities, then you'll have to send it to the via a shared folder and they in turn need to have a Dropbox account.

However, could you clarify what type of file it is that you're trying to share with others?

Looking forward to hearing back from you, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jazzmeg1
Advanced | Level 16
Go to solution

Hi

Hello

This is what I am talking about.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/56f8rv2r8jovul0/2020-07-10%20%282%29_LI.jpg?dl=0

Anyway, I got the answer from a Dropbox support. I copied and pasted the reply below. 

There are two different link options for Google and Microsoft Office files that are in your Dropbox account: Can Edit and Can View. These links differ from regular Dropbox shared links in a few ways.

For Google and Microsoft Office files, links are centralized to each file, rather than unique per person who creates a link for a file. What this means is that the same links are visible to all people who have the ability to share a Google or Microsoft Office file.

The new link options can be used to grant other Dropbox users edit or view access to a file. They also effectively add individuals who access via the link as a member of the file, enabling the files to appear in search results and activity feeds of the Dropbox accounts of those individuals.

These links also ensure that anyone who accesses a Google or Microsoft Office file using a link will be given the highest permissions level available to them. This is based on factors such as file membership, folder membership or link type used to access the file.

Edit & View links to a Google or Microsoft Office file in your Dropbox account will also remain active even if the original creator of the link leaves the team, has their account deactivated, or otherwise loses access to the file. If you wish to remove the links, they must be manually deleted for each file they have been created on.

Some other points to note:

• Links are created by default when the file is first opened in the relevant cloud editor, and are available in your browser URL bar. The type of link created depends on the permissions of the person opening the file: Someone with Edit access to the file will see an Edit link in their URL bar, and someone with View access will see a View link in their URL bar
  • Links can be deleted if you do not wish to share the file using a link
  • If an individual is logged in, they can view the file in the cloud editor, leave comments, and depending on the level of access they have inherited, make edits to the file. Edits will save back to Dropbox automatically.
  • If an individual is logged out, opening an Edit or View link will allow them to preview the file, but they cannot make edits or comments to the file.
  • Both types of link are centralized for each file, meaning that the same links are visible to all people who have the ability to share the file.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jazzmeg1 Advanced | Level 16
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
    ITConsultingAfrica Collaborator | Level 10
What do Dropbox user levels mean?