cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dont understand storage

Dont understand storage

bobby_bannuci
New member | Level 2

I have 6.5gb of space. I have only 1 gb of local files that I myself uploaded to the dropbox/cloud. Meanwhile, dropbox customers I know have uploaded their own files to their dropbox and shared these files with me. WHY does this count against my overall storage? Its saying I'm using 29gb of storage...no, I'm not, the customers who shared their files from their cloud allotment to me are using that space. Is dropbox double dipping on storage usage? How do I remove these shared files from my dropbox, as right now I can't do anything besides pay to upgrade?

3 Replies 3

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @bobby_bannuci, and welcome to our Community!

Your Dropbox quota is calculated based on the total contents of your Dropbox, which includes shared folders.

Because every member can add to and modify its contents, this is why it counts toward storage quotas in each member's account.

Essentially it takes up space both on the sender, and the receiver. 

If you want to remove a shared folder from your account without affecting other members, you can remove your access to it. 

Want to try this, and let me know how it goes? 

Keep me posted!

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

stencil
New member | Level 2

I have the same problem over and over again. I have a dropbox plus account and have a lot of space left. I make folders for clients so they can look into the folder (and make changes and upload files). My clients keep having the message that their dropbox is full. I don't understand?

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @stencil!

When you add someone to join your folder, it's like "sending" the folder to them as well, so they can view or edit it. 

In order for someone to be part of it, they would need to have enough space so the folder could be part of their account. 

Think of it like this: I have a basket with apples in it, for someone to either add, remove or edit those, I would need to "pass" the basket to them.

If you'd like to share a folder without impacting the recipient's quota, you can create a shared link to the folder, instead.

If you have any issues doing so, let me know!

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Need more support?