Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download .XLS, edit, and save updated sheet to dropbox?

Aginiat New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi everyone,

I'd like to be able to download a excel sheet so I can edit it in excel (offline) and then save the updated sheet back in the original location of dropbox where it's located within a sub folder. 

I do have the Dropbox desktop app but it will only allow me to save the edited file in a more general folder and it saves as a new file, as opposed replacing the previous version.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew

1 Reply 1

Re: Download .XLS, edit, and save updated sheet to dropbox?

Super User II
Super User II

@Aginiat wrote:

I do have the Dropbox desktop app ...

If you have the Dropbox client installed and your files are syncing (you would have a local Dropbox folder with your files in it) then you don't need to download the file for editing. You should be able to find the file in your local Dropbox folder and just open, edit and save it like you would any other file.

If your files aren't syncing to the comptuer and you're just downloading the file from the Dropbox website, you'll need to reupload it to the same folder using the Dropbox website when you're done editing it. Sign in on the website, navigate to the folder, then you can just drag the file from your computer into the browser window to upload it to the folder. It should overwrite any previous copy of the same file.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?