cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Download speed is down to 20KB/sec

Download speed is down to 20KB/sec

cfw0047
New member | Level 2

It started out at 900KB/sec (acceptable if not still pretty darn slow) and then rapidly descended all the way to a low of 20KB/sec.  It took me five minutes to download a 23MB song for a video project.  Is this normal?   I've started a second download of a very short video (7 MB) and Dropbox is hovering around 60KB/sec.  My internet is at about 100MB/sec download speed (as of a few seconds ago) so it's not an issue on this end.  Just need to know from the community, is this something that happens from time to time or this the norm?

As a comparison, the client just sent the same files through another service, and I was able to download them literally in about three seconds.  With Dropbox it took five minutes.  Is that normal?  What I am missing?

14 Replies 14

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Hey @cfw0047, thanks for taking the time to post on our Community!

You might want to take a look at the bandwidth settings of your Dropbox app, in case there's a limit.

You can change these settings, by following the steps here.

Let me know how it goes!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

cfw0047
New member | Level 2

Thank you, Hannah.  I'm not using the desktop app.  Is there a way to check the bandwidth being used by Dropbox via the web?

Stefen H.
Collaborator | Level 8

It's not just you. My download speed is also pretty terrible at the moment, but upload is just fine. My bandwidth preferences are set to don't limit upload or download. It can't be the client though since you're also experiencing slowness on web. How strange.

gh41
Explorer | Level 3

Hello. I'm currently unable to download any files. Dropbox says it will take 2 hours to download a 185MB file. It gets about halfway there and then fails. I've been trying to download 3 files for the last 3 hours. ZERO SUCCESS!! This is ridiculous!

Stefen H.
Collaborator | Level 8

There was a problem earlier, according to the Dropbox status page. This might be related.

gh41
Explorer | Level 3

Yep... and the problem persists. I've used Dropbox for years and have never encountered a problem like this. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi everyone, could you let me know what ISP you're currently using?

Have you tried switching browsers (for those using the web) to see if this helps?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Stefen H.
Collaborator | Level 8

Comcast here. I've only tried with Chrome and can confirm the slow download on the website as well as the client. Downloads from other websites are fine.

tako33
Explorer | Level 4

Comcast as well. Speedtest is 705Mbps download and 23Mbps upload. Dropbox is doing 10-40KB/s on both download/upload which is like 0.08-0.3Mbps?

Things tried and don't work: 

- Bandwidth no limit

- Bandwidth limited to 70-90%

- Turning off Mac's firewall (Dropbox had connection permission anyway)

- Download fresh copy of dropbox/reinstall (Direct dl from dropbox website was going to take 3-20 hours for 250mb. Found a copy from another site and download finished in 5 seconds). 

- Restarted computer

- Restarted/reset modem 

- 2 different Macs, same issue. Both have no problem with any other sites/services 

Also used dropbox for years, never had something like this happen till today. 

Need more support?