cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading Dropbox files shared with me to an external drive on a mac

Highlighted

Downloading Dropbox files shared with me to an external drive on a mac

New member | Level 2

Hi,
I want to download about 90GB of files contained in folders that someone has shared with me to an external drive. I do not have enough space to download the files to my Mac, and so can only download them if they can be downloaded to the external drive I have which is big enough for the task. If it’s easier I can do this via pc, but would prefer to be able to do it on a Mac. I only have a basic Dropbox account which is full, and I don’t want to download the shared folders to my own Dropbox anyway. Thanks

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Downloading Dropbox files shared with me to an external drive on a mac

Dropboxer

Hi there @WeekendRaver, I hope you're well today!

Firstly, was the content shared with you via a link, or via a shared folder?

To be able to download without adding the folders to your Dropbox account first, it would need to be shared via a shared link.

From there, you should be able to choose the location when downloading via your browser settings or options, and specify your external drive.

Let me know if this info helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?