cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading a folder allowed?

Downloading a folder allowed?

ucantioli
Explorer | Level 3

I have a 2 GB account. I'm going to be uploading a group of MP3 files which I want to allow people to download. These downloaders do not have Dropbox accounts. I don't want people to be able to alter the files in any way while they are inside my account.

Since there will be over 30 files, can I put them all into a folder, so the downloaders can grab that one folder instead of 30 separate files?

Exactly what details should I send them to tell them how to access the files?
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Downloading a folder allowed?

Rich
Super User II

@ucantioli wrote:

How do I make the folders view-only so people can download the folders but can't alter or delete the folders or files?

A shared link only allows someone to view or download the content. They can't alter the original files in your account. They can alter them on their own computer after they download them, but there's nothing you can do about that.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II

@ucantioli wrote:
Since there will be over 30 files, can I put them all into a folder, so the downloaders can grab that one folder instead of 30 separate files?

You'll want to send them a shared link to the folder. They'll be able to download each file individually, or the entire folder as a compressed Zip file. If they have and are already signed in to their own Dropbox account, they'll also have the option of adding the folder to their account without having to download it.

ucantioli
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks, Rich. I'll see if I can make some folders and put some files in them, hopefully later this week. Then I'll let you know if it worked.

ucantioli
Explorer | Level 3

I've put a few MP3s into four folders that I want people to be able to download so they can play the music. How do I make the folders view-only so people can download the folders but can't alter or delete the folders or files?

Rich
Super User II

@ucantioli wrote:

How do I make the folders view-only so people can download the folders but can't alter or delete the folders or files?

A shared link only allows someone to view or download the content. They can't alter the original files in your account. They can alter them on their own computer after they download them, but there's nothing you can do about that.

View solution in original post

ucantioli
Explorer | Level 3

Well, as long as they can't change my files inside Dropbox, they can do whatever they want to them after they've downloaded them. I don't think that was explained very well in their instruction pages, which is why people keep asking questions. I consider this solved, so thanks for your help.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ucantioli Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?